Thread: Obsessed with how much money i have and hate spending

Obsessed with how much money i have and hate spending

Does anyone else feel this way?
    It's not just a case of being tight I'm actually obsessed and feel guilty no matter how much or how little i spend.

- Emily Brontė

"No matter how irrational I may sound, it's real to me"

Re: Obsessed with how much money i have and hate spending

I dont have any! havent worked since Dec... my hubby pays for everything, and cos he earns alot, I cant claim any benefits!
    I sell stuf on ebay to get money for any luxury things .....

Yes I feel annoyed when I look at my bank statement and see the money that goes out, mainly on bills. Makes me feel a bit frustrated but to be honest financial problems pale into insignificance compared to my anxiety and other issues in my life.

Don't have that problem , I love spending I buy what ever I want , sorry I work hard all week my job takes me nationwide , and im spoilt by my
    Daddy .

Zoe xx

Maybe I'm alone in this...I don't mean I worry about money but I'm obsessed by spending and the thoughts present themselves like ocd.
    I feel abit out of control with it.

- Emily Brontė

"No matter how irrational I may sound, it's real to me"

Quote Originally Posted by GirlAfraid23 View Post
    Does anyone else feel this way?
    It's not just a case of being tight I'm actually obsessed and feel guilty no matter how much or how little i spend.
    Spending sprees are typical of bipolar or manic depression, but your anxiety doesn't sound exactly like this.

More likely is the fact that money is a substitute for anything and everything, if you have money you've been taught to believe you can have everything and anything. It's no wonder that St Paul said the love of money was the root all evil. It's a terrible thing really every advert you see says spend money, and your mind says I haven't got enough so don't spend it save it so you can spend it. No wonder we get anxious about it either way.

one of us
    Made for justice, we clamour for vengeance.
    Made for relationship, we insist on our own way.
    Made for beauty, we are satisfied with sentiment.
    But new creation has already begun.
    The sun has begun to rise.

Tom Wright, The Bishop of Durham
    from Simply Christian

Sorry I disagree , how does spending be linked to bipolar and manic depression
    , every one loves a good spending spree if any thing its therapeutic , I ve done it most of my
    Life , my gp has never diagnosed me with either , it's about having control , your either good with money or your not , it's that simple .

Zoe xx

Quote Originally Posted by Eliana5 View Post
    Sorry I disagree , how does spending be linked to bipolar and manic depression
    , every one loves a good spending spree if any thing its therapeutic , I ve done it most of my
    Life , my gp has never diagnosed me with either , it's about having control , your either good with money or your not , it's that simple .

Zoe xx
    Hi Zoe it says about it here in this link: http://www.bipolar-lives.com/bipolar...-spending.html

My friend has bipolar disorder and suffers in this way.

money and spending are massively linked to conditions such as bipolar and OCD. i'm sorry but i don't understand how one could assume that money has no connection to mental health issues and i don't agree it's as 'simple' as being good with money or not. the problem is even if you are great with your finances, a mental health problem can cloud your judgement and make you feel you need to spend money without realising the consequences, or you temporarily just don't even care about the consequences.

i for one find money to be the source of some of my biggest worries and i do get obsessive about it, i even get panicky thinking about spending money sometimes and i feel like i have to constantly regulate my thoughts around it much in the way you GirlAfraid said, like OCD.

bank statements freak the shit out of me too and i constantly um and ah about opening them thinking i'm not in the right state of mind and that will make it turn out bad or something.

OMG...... I'm not alone!!... I have HUGE anxieties relating to spending money, shopping, etc. I have suffered for almost 2 years. I have panic attacks relating to banks, bank statements, bills, interest rates, adverts on TV about money or spending (which are most), can't watch news incase they say something bad about interest rates going up etc, I constantly add up in my head what I've spent. If I allow myself to spend any money I feel sick and guilty. I wake in the night with panic or anxiety about it. I dream about it.

You are definately not alone on this one.... I feel like this all the time and my councellor is trying to help but I still struggle every day.

One thing is for sure....People who never worry about money will not understand...

Thread Information