Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Fear of dentist. Extraction needed. Fear I will die.

Fear of dentist. Extraction needed. Fear I will die.

I've the dentist on Friday. I'm in so much pain. I can't sleep, or eat. I get the odd bit of relief from Neurofen.

I've put this appointment off for 2 weeks already because I know it has to come out. When the pain is this bad there's no fixing it so it's a root canal or extraction. Extraction it is.

I'm panicking over the anesthetic. I'm convinced it will kill me.

The dentist is near my old house. Around the corner. It's a strange feeling because when I lived in the area I knew I could get home quickly. I felt safer. But that comfortable feeling has gone. I live miles away.

Just really bummed out and depressed over this. I'll have no teeth at the back on my right side. The recovery takes a long time. It's disruptive to life. Even when this tooth has been extracted, it's only a matter of time before a filling comes out, or I develop issues in another tooth. Chemotherapy ruined the enamel on my teeth.

This sort of tooth pain is dirty. It's a 15/10 on the scale. Feels like there's an air pocket in my tooth. There probably is. It was filled incorrectly, which is why it's ended up the way it has.

“I would rather have questions that can't be answered than answers that can't be questioned.” - Richard Feynman

☪️️

Re: Fear of dentist. Extraction needed. Fear I will die.

I've been there wired
    No, the anesthetic will not kill you and it wears off very quickly. Tell the dentist before he does it of your fear and he will reassure you.
    Tooth pain is like hell on earth but did your know eating, the chewing actually gives relief. Cabbage is a natural pain killer too, don't knock it, it worked for me. Tea also. I've been known to place a used warm teabag on the area.
    The mouth area heals quickly too.
    Can someone go with you to the dentist, it might make your journey and visit a little easier.

The local wont kill you. Normal anaesthetic doesn’t work for me at all so I have to be given two shots of what my dentist calls elephant injections. I’ve never had a problem with it. It wears off after a few hours.

What you’ve got to focus on is the fact that the horrible pain you’re in now will have gone. That will be so worth it.

Ghost…Spillways

Thanks Carnation and Darksky. Pain is so bad I had to call 111 as an emergency today. They've got me in tomorrow at 9.45 at emergency dentist. Friday is too long to wait.

I'm focusing on being out of pain tomorrow. It's truly the worst. Enough to make an adult cry.

“I would rather have questions that can't be answered than answers that can't be questioned.” - Richard Feynman

☪️️

I did cry wired, like a baby. If it's nerve pain it's horrendous. I truly feel for you

Quote Originally Posted by Carnation View Post
    I did cry wired, like a baby. If it's nerve pain it's horrendous. I truly feel for you
    After you mentioned nerve pain I remembered I had some pregablin in my meds box. It's done the trick and dulled the pain.

I can't sleep. I have to be up for 6.30 to take my meds, walk dog and get my stuff together. Got to leave for 8 and get there for around 9.

Throughout all this I tried to adopt a stoic mindset. It didn't work. A stoic would say "A man who suffers before it is necessary, suffers longer than is necessary". I would say Seneca didn't have toothache.

☪️️

Today is the day. Taxi arrives in an hour. I'm still in so much pain. I woke up multiple times groaning and just in awful pain. I'm glad I'm in pain today, because I'll want that treatment even more.

☪️️

Strangely the pain can detract from the anxiety, it becomes your distraction and as you say, you just want the pain to stop.
    Getting a taxi was a good idea and once there you will have some relief.

All done. I am now back home.

My ex came with me. She's such a star! While I was having the extraction she could see I was in pain so she told me to squeeze her hand, which oddly helped!

It wasn't an easy ride though.

Turns out the tooth I thought it was, it wasn't. They did an xray and showed me the tooth I thought was in pain is fine. She discovered the pain was from a completely different tooth!

The tooth was a tricky one. It was lodged between 2 other teeth, and the roots extended outwards under the other 2 teeth. Making extraction very hard. The tooth snapped while she tried to pull it out.

There was some talk that I'd have to go to hospital. I did not want this. I did not want to be in any more pain. I wanted it out there and then.

I told her to remove the tooth next to it so she could get it out. That tooth was perfectly fine. A K9. But without removing it I'd have had to have gone to hospital so they can cut the gum open.

She took the tooth, and the bad tooth was extracted easily.

Because I had no adrenaline in the numbing solution it was hard to numb completely. It got to a point she couldn't use anymore. She stopped the procedure and said she's unwilling to proceed while I'm in pain.

I could feel everything. It was like toothache x10.

I was in a dilemma. Do I go through the pain so she can extract, or do I go to hospital? I chose the pain option. I pretended I was no longer in pain and was numb. But I wasn't.

After 45 minutes it was all done. I'm happy that I am no longer in pain anymore. I feel like a huge weight has lifted. That toothache really messed with my life, and my mental health.

But here's what I don't get. How did a completely different tooth make it feel like I had a ball of air in the filling? That's crazy to me. She said something about nerves being attached.

Thank you folks for being supportive. I love you folks <3

☪️️

The nerves in my gum don’t run true according to my dentist. Which is why I have to have the elephant drug.

Reading that sounds like a horror scene but I’m glad it’s all over for you now. Toothache just has to be one of worst pains. Well done hardly seems to cover it but well done anyway.

Ghost…Spillways

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information