Quote Originally Posted by Scissel View Post
How are you doing?
I think I'm doing reasonably okay, but my GP isn't so sure. Time will tell which one of us is right. That's if all the blood tests being ordered don't desiccate me to a dried out husk first! I can see the headstone now, "Here lies Ian, we buried what was left of him in a match box"

how long will it take for the GABA receptors to level off and balance when tapering off the BZDs?
It isn't only GABA receptors, but the BZD binding sites on them. BZDs activate the binding sites, not receptors directly, which increase GABA receptor activity. Taking BZDs causes a reduction in both as a bio-feedback response. Unfortunately, there isn't good data on how long the receptors and binding sites take to rebound. It probably varies greatly from person to person. The other factor is the half-life of the BZD. If you're on diazepam it takes a long time to be eliminated, both because of its own long half-life, but many of its metabolites are also active.

I also take Gabapentin
Which is a further complication because it will also impact GABA receptor and binding site rebound.

I've tapered farther than even I expected and I'm on a low dose daily now 1 time a day and I refuse to increase even if anxiety is through the roof.
Maybe the antihistamine hydroxyzine would help, Sal. It has fairly good anti anxiety properties. Not quite in the same league as the BZDs, but it's often potent enough to make a difference. Worth discussing with your doctor anyway.

I don't know what to do now because I'm back to square 1 as the Sertraline has pooped out at 100MG
How long were you on it and have you taken any other ADs in the past?

and the sexual side effects increase when to dosage increases and that is a 'no-no' even though I'm not sexually active.
It is, unfortunately, a common problem. But there are ways of reducing the impact. BTW - in addition to the positive effect on SSRI sexual dysfunction noted in the link, small doses of buspirone (Buspar) may boost the effectiveness of SSRIs and restore function to ones which have pooped out. No guarantees, but it might 'kill two birds" for you.