Thread: Researching various diseases

Researching various diseases

Has anyone done so much research into certain diseases to try and understand what they can do to prevent them?

I have and although it may seem helpful, I wish I hadn't. I have currently been worrying about a certain disease that I've been worried about for the past few months. I have already posted about on this forum researched extensively about it. I've read patient stories, the biological processes, etc. and wish I hadn't.

I know it sounds crazy, I'm just wondering f anybody else has done the same, oh I just wish I could let go of all of this anxiety and live my life. I'm so drained by it.

Re: Researching various diseases

I believe that 100% of the members here have consulted Dr. Google concerning their current worry. Maybe a few points lower concerning browsing how to prevent a disease but the worry is the same as is consulting Dr. Google. The vast majority of threads/posts alone affirm that.

FMP
    "Eat. Drink. Enjoy the work you do. Be thankful for the blessings God gives you in this life. Live, love and seek out the things that bring your heart joy. The rest is meaningless... Like chasing the wind." King Solomon

The best help is the help you give yourself! http://cbt4panic.org/

I’ve done sooo much medical research in my anxiety heyday. Funny enough, I’ve been working at a law firm that does medical malpractice and my medical knowledge has really come in handy! I joke with my boss that being a hypochondriac is like having half a medical degree.

Unfortunately, I think this is an issue that we all suffer(ed) from.

Back when I suffered from hypochondria regularly, 99% of my day would go into researching the diseases/viruses/parasites I was afraid of. Although I think it can help to learn about the health condition that one fears - since it can potentially add a sense of rationale to one's thought process - in the long run, it is more damaging because as you said, you find yourself delving into patient stories and making connections between yourself and those that suffered from the health condition in question. Furthermore, the mere fact that you're researching and looking into medical conditions adds more fuel to a mind that is already prone to irrational thoughts. The reason for this is because your subconscious mind starts to believe that this condition is a major part of your life, and consequently, makes it harder for your brain to think that the health condition you're afraid of is irrational. How can it be irrational if a majority of your time is regularly spent looking into it?

Personally, what worked for me was creating distractions in my life. Hobbies, passions, and entertainments (games, television shows, books, etc.) helped me better understand why I was having these irrational thoughts in the first place, and thus helped me gradually gain control of my life again. One thing I've come to learn through the years is that our thoughts are very powerful, and spending the necessary time to control the way you think and the way you react to your thoughts, will make a drastic impact on your quality of life. If you keep feeding the habits that led you to this situation, the cycle will only continue, and so please, weigh carefully the thoughts that need your attention and those that don't. It's hard, I know it is, but I believe that with the right amount of effort and time, you can overcome this. It simply relies on how much work you're willing to put into your mental health.

If you have any questions, please feel free to reach out to me via private messages, and apologies for going on a tangent....

Thank you loads to all of you for replying, I really appreciate it. I've been suffering with health anxiety since early 2017. Since then, I have had times where it rarely raised its ugly head. I'd say even up to a year or 2 it barely factored into my life.

However, since a long-term relationship brake up last year, it has been near constant and debilitating. Particularly, since around summer there is one condition (ALS/MND) that I have vastly researched/read patient stories, you name it and convinced myself I have it or will most likely get it. It's insane, it's completely taken a hold.

I've kept myself in this cycle due to reading about so many potential things that could increase the likelihood bit in doing so, I've become trapped in the vicious circle of health anxiety. I think I need to let go, accept that I can't control what may or may not happen to me and live my life. Because this sure isn't 'living'.

Thank you so much HelloPanda, I really appreciate you reaching out and I may take you up on that offer.

Thread Information