Thread: extreme anxiety/ white coat syndrome

extreme anxiety/ white coat syndrome

I was doing really well with health anxiety... I started prozac which has been great. I found a physical exercise that has virtually cured by gerd/ esophagitis and since then I've been over the moon, just feeling great.

But I've always had the issue of having elevated BP at the doctors office. It will typically be around 145/90, and then if the doctor takes it again a few minutes later, it'll be 130/85 or something. One doctor a few years ago had me check it at home morning & evening every day for 2 weeks, and it was always within the normal range when I did that. My pulse is always high at the doctors office, around 100, whereas it's normal other times.

I just went to have a physical today and it triggered healthy anxiety all over again. I'm so annoyed because I had been doing so well. I can't explain why, it's just the worse feeling-- a mixture of terror and shame (for some reason?) A feeling that I'm destined to die young for some completely irrational reason. How the doctor reacts makes a big difference. Typically female doctors don't trigger my anxiety whereas male ones do, even if they're nice. Today I had a male doctor and it the was first time I'd ever seen him. He was really nice but hearing him say that my BP was a little high just triggered so much anxiety.

I already eat healthy (tons of fruits & veggies, almost no sugar), exercise every day, I'm on my feet most of the day, I have a normal BMI, there's nothing I can do to help BP. I just can't beat this anxiety, and it makes me terrified to go to the doctor.... I'm only 33. It would be different if I was old, I think, but I just keep thinking, I'm way too young to even be worrying about this stuff.

Re: extreme anxiety/ white coat syndrome

Go read your reply to beq35 and apply that same logic to yourself

FMP
    "Eat. Drink. Enjoy the work you do. Be thankful for the blessings God gives you in this life. Live, love and seek out the things that bring your heart joy. The rest is meaningless... Like chasing the wind." King Solomon

The best help is the help you give yourself! http://cbt4panic.org/

Re: extreme anxiety/ white coat syndrome

Quote Originally Posted by Fishmanpa View Post
    Go read your reply to beq35 and apply that same logic to yourself

FMP
    Thank you, i am trying <3

Thread Information