Thread: Kidney Infection + terrified of something worse escalating

Kidney Infection + terrified of something worse escalating

HA is in full flow and I am trying my best to stop madly googling. I had gastroenteritis 2-3 weeks ago and then, feeling better, I stupidly had a night out involving drinking causing me to vomit a lot the next day. I had itchy lower legs and also noticed some dark tissue / cloudy urine during this time that I dismissed as being dehydrated or part of my monthly cycle.

I have been feeling very tired since then and on Saturday I started having:

-Chills (no fever)
    -Itchy legs (this has gone now)
    -Sore throat,
    -Back and flank pain
    -Nausea with dizziness
    -Short of breath (although I have had this before)

I took a home urine dipstick and it showed high creatinine and albumin - all other results normal. This got me really panicked because I didn't have the usual burning or uncomfortable unrination that would indicate a UTI so I called the out of hours Dr who prescribed me cefalexin (antibiotics) for suspected "ascending UTI / kidney infection".

I decided to check in with my own GP on Monday to ask about the dipstick as I've never seen creatinine and albumin flag before but I had shown a spike in a blood test in 2019. The doctor said kidney infection can be a cause of this and he said his dipsticks didn't check creatinine but the rest of his stick was normal including proteins. My urine sample was very cloudy. He suggested to wait until the end of the antibiotics and come back if no change.

I am on day 4-5 of the antibiotics now and this morning the creatinine level was improved and albumin reduced but I'm still feeling:

-Dizzy,
    -Nauseous
    -Frequent unrination
    -Flank and abdominal pain
    -Muscle twinges
    -Strange taste

I'm terrified I have something seriously wrong with me like renal failure but I'm trying to remember that the creatinine was improving, not getting worse. I'm in a deep level of panic and just wanted to reach out to people who understand HA and might be able to help me decide if I'm being anxious or have something to actually worry about x
    Last edited by Pixelwoo; 26-04-23 at 16:29. Reason: Added a symptom

Thread Information