Thread: High cortisol levels in blood - being referred for Cushing's syndrome/disease testing

High cortisol levels in blood - being referred for Cushing's syndrome/disease testing

I went to my GP with a small hump on my neck and they ran some morning cortisol testing and it came back elvated at 717 so I have been referred to endocrinology for Cushing's testing.

I am scared out of my wits. My GP thinks maybe my steroid creams for psoriasis maybe have caused it but I haven't used them since March/April this year. That is also when I noticed the hump and thought it was bad posture for a while. I have gained a stone in weight over the last year but managed to lose half of it since. I was 12 stone 2lbs in December and now I am 11 stone 6lbs.

Have any of you ever been tested for Cushing's? I am terrified to have it in any sense but I could just about cope with having it caused by steroids or a benign hormone secreting tumour. My fear is I will be one of the very few unlucky ones who have it caused by a cancerous tumour. My health anxiety is so bad these days. I was diagnosed with psoriatic arthritis in Nov and lost my dad suddenly to a cardiac arrest a week later and then my uncle to a cardiac arrest not long after that too. Death and illness have been too close to home lately.

Just need a hug really 😔

"Save your sympathy for someone else. I don't need it or want it. What you call a panic attack is merely a few normal chemicals that are temporarily out of place in my brain. It is of no significance whatsoever to me!"

"Recovery always lies ahead - however painful the moment"

"Recovery lies in the places and experiences you avoid"

Dr Claire Weekes.

Re: High cortisol levels in blood - being referred for Cushing's syndrome/disease tes

I am being tested for it constantly as I have an adrenal gland lesion. I am forever doing 24 hour urine collections as the results are borderline.

I am supposed to do some more again now as they can't really decide if I have Cushing's or not.

“Don't be afraid of death; be afraid of an unlived life. You don't have to live forever, you just have to live.” - Natalie Babbitt

Please help keep NMP running and donate to the running costs: http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/donate

Re: High cortisol levels in blood - being referred for Cushing's syndrome/disease tes

Sorry to hear this Ginger. Hope it’s ruled out for you, but if not, then I hope it’s manageable. Hugs.

Thread Information