Thread: Ridiculous blood pressure

Ridiculous blood pressure

I've had a few problems with blood pressure lately.

I developed a bit of a phobia of having it done and had higher readings (tried to have the 24 hour monitor but had continuous panic attacks for 8 hours and decided to take it off as I couldn't bear it anymore). When doctors repeatedly take my blood pressure, it tends to drop down dramatically (systolic has dropped from 180 to 120). However, I've read it's only supposed to climb by 30 systolic in a panic attack. Mine climbs much more than this. I had mine done the other day and had a normal reading (120/80) however I had a massive panic attack while having it measured by a nurse at another appointment today and it was awfully high.

My doctor isn't at all worried but I was wondering if other people see dramatic spikes in blood pressure while having panic attacks? I take propranolol for anxiety which keeps my heart at a respectable rate but the anxiety I get while having my blood pressure measured means my breathing becomes shallow due to hyperventilation and my stomach extremely bloated.

Does anxiety temporarily wreak havoc on blood pressure? Feeling absolutely awful at the moment.

Re: Ridiculous blood pressure

It really does, yes, it's a problem I've had for decades and it's an almighty pain in the backside.

Just annoying because I think I have good BP normally but I just can't it right when anxious. Feeling for you BlueIris. Reassuring to hear it's something you can live with for decades! The human body is a weird thing.

Mine goes through the roof the second I get near a doctor for hospital. Has done since my teens, but I'm in my 40s now and not dead yet.

Quote Originally Posted by nick1994 View Post
    Just annoying because I think I have good BP normally but I just can't it right when anxious. Feeling for you BlueIris. Reassuring to hear it's something you can live with for decades! The human body is a weird thing.
    Because anxiety by definition puts your body in a state that requires high blood pressure.

It's one of those 'stop worrying about it' things.

Ugh... got a new phone and accidentally deleted my earlier post.
    I never had BP issues until it was high 1 time in the drs office when I was pregnant, that was 30 years ago. Now it's high e.v.e.r.y time... sigh

Do you suspect anxiety is the cause, Nancy? So annoying!

I hate the actual process of BP monitoring. I find it awfully invasive

Quote Originally Posted by nick1994 View Post
    Do you suspect anxiety is the cause, Nancy? So annoying!
    Absolutely. I'm already driving it up before I get to the drs office. It's just dumb.

There's even a name for BP going up when getting measured: "white coat hypertension".

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

Thread Information