Hello,
For the last couple of months I have been getting video therapy appointments through the nhs. Firstly I realise that I am in a lucky position to even get this as I know there is a big waiting list.
I’ve seen several therapists over the years for anxiety, which comes and goes depending on life and circumstances.
I requested more therapy sessions at the end of last year as I was struggling to do much without getting anxious and wasn’t going out much on my own.
I don’t feel like I am clicking with this current therapist. I struggle to explain what I mean or why I do certain things. I know with cbt you need to do homework, but I struggle to find the time to work out what tasks I am supposed to be doing, and then if I do it my own way, it’s not really counted as I didn’t fill in the correct sheets that I was set. Am I being unreasonable? I had an amazing therapist a few years ago who I made so much progress with, and she helped me to realise a lot of things I didn’t notice.
I’m a very busy person so I only have limited amount of free time to be filling in various worksheets and keep track of every time I get an anxious thought (which I’ll be honest is many many times in a day) I just don’t feel like I’m getting much out of the therapy, and I feel a bit like the therapist is condescending and tends to jump to conclusions about what I’m experiencing. My main issues at the moment are not going out much on my own, and having an ongoing struggle to gain weight. But in the therapy sessions they want me to tackle me to tackle my fear of being sick so I have to do things that I would avoid, like eating food going out of date and not washing my hands before eating. I don’t really want to do these things and feel like they don’t overly help the situation of feeling less anxious going out myself.
Not sure if anyone will be able to have any opinions or similar experiences where the therapist doesn’t really understand you or your goals/issues?
Thanks if anyone gets this far through this post!