Quote Originally Posted by ServerError View Post
II've found it improves my sleep no end (although it can sometimes be harder to get up in the morning).
If your GP will prescribe it consider switching to trazodone. The problem with mirtazapine as a sleeping aid is its long half-life, 20-40 hours, which can cause sedation to continue into the morning. At high doses, 200+ mg, trazodone is a pretty good AD, but these days it is mostly prescribed for SSRI induced insomnia at doses of 25-100mg. Its half-life is 10-12 hours.

Quote Originally Posted by Rad1 View Post
I’ve got Zopiclone but try and give it a break so as not to become dependent.
Dependence may occur if you take Zopiclone (eszopiclone) daily for some weeks to months so it would need to be tapered off rather than quitting it abruptly. This is also true of the sertraline.

Unlike the related benzodiazepines, eszopiclone enhances hippocampal neurogenesis, the mechanism by which AD work, by increasing the survival rate of new hippocampal neurons by 40-50% which may speed up kick-in a little (Methippara M, 2010; Su XW 2009; Pollack M, 2008).

Mirtazipan takes 5 weeks, so I guess I will just push through with Sert
Mirtazapine should aid sleep immediately as it is mostly a very sedating antihistamine, not a true antidepressant. However, as per my reply to ServerError above, trazodone would be a better option if your GP will prescribe it.