Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Please anyone reply - major meltdown - biopsy results

Please anyone reply - major meltdown - biopsy results

Hi Everyone,

On May 3rd I had a biopsy of my right breast. The doctor thought I had a fibroadenoma but 'to cover all bases' wanted to do a biopsy. I have an appointment on May 16th for results.

In the UK we have a system called 'Patients Know Best' attached to your NHS record where the hospital adds test results and they send the patient an email when it has been updated.

Today I got an email saying it had been updated. I looked at it and it said 'Histology dept', the name of the person who entered the information, but the reult was 'not available until June 24th'.

I am now having a major meltdown. I am scared that the result is not there as they want to give the doctor time to tell me in person that I have breast C. I also received a text to remind me of my appointment next week.

I am so terrified. I can't eat, I keep crying, I just don't know how I can manage until next week. I feel like I'm staring down the barrel of a gun.

Please, can anyone relate? Has anyone had any experience of this with UK results?
    Thank you x
    Last edited by debs71; 09-05-24 at 14:53.

Re: Please anyone reply - major meltdown - biopsy results

Phone your GPS debs. You can't wait that long and if your GP can't give you an answer, ask him who can.

Could you call the dr office and say "Hey I got an email that my results are in, could you please let me know what they are"?! I know I have no patience and I usually call if something is bothering me to relieve my fears! Hope this helps somewhat

Debs, I don't have any answers regarding your situation. Though the two ladies above have said what I was thinking. Please know that you are in my thoughts xx

Quote Originally Posted by Carnation View Post
    Phone your GPS debs. You can't wait that long and if your GP can't give you an answer, ask him who can.
    Thanks for your reply Carnie. It really means a lot. x

Quote Originally Posted by Mariemomma11 View Post
    Could you call the dr office and say "Hey I got an email that my results are in, could you please let me know what they are"?! I know I have no patience and I usually call if something is bothering me to relieve my fears! Hope this helps somewhat
    Thanks so much for replying Mariemomma. Thankfully i managed to get some information today x

Quote Originally Posted by fishman65 View Post
    Debs, I don't have any answers regarding your situation. Though the two ladies above have said what I was thinking. Please know that you are in my thoughts xx
    Thanks so much for your reply, Fishman. It really does help to have such great support as yours and others on the site. x

Hi again Everyone,

I thought I would update with what happened today. After my meltdown earlier, my dad phoned the hospital and they said that if anything was serious in the results, my consultation would have been brought forward which calmed me down somewhat. I then got another email early this evening saying that a document from the hospital had been added to my 'Patients Know Best' record. I was very nervous but had a look at it and it was a letter for my personal doctor/GP (they allowed me access too)

It said that the biopsy showed a benign fibroadenoma and that I should be put back into the general breast screening programme every 3 years. Apparently, the doctor had tried to call me but could not reach me (I think my NHS record had not updated my new phone number yet)

I am beyond relieved, but I am so, so grateful for the support that I have gotten from ths forum and all of the kind, lovely people who have replied to me here. I would not have been able to cope without you as I don't really have any friends close to me and I think my family were getting a bit frustrated with my worry.

What this whole experience has taught me is that my anxiety is not as well controlled as I thought. I have been on the same SSRI drug for over 20 years so I am not sure if it is helping me as much now. I have literally been at my wit's end since my first mammogram. My sister said that even someone without an anxiety disorder would be very worried, but I went off the deep end and feel quite embarrassed really.

Secondly, it has taught me how much I really want to live and what is really important in life. It sounds cheesy, but I really understand now what is important and what isn't.

Thirdly, it has taught me that you never know how things can go and the mind sets us up to thinking the worst possible scenario. I hope if anything good can come from my experience for anyone else in a similar situation, it is to show that even when anxiety tells you it will be a bad result, IT CAN end up being a good one.

Thank you so much everyone. xxx

Your sister is right debs, anyone would be anxious in that situation x

Thanks Carnation. Yep, she's right. I guess I just wish my anxious brain didn't steer me to the worst possible outcome every time. I feel so foolish now, but I also am so grateful. Hope you are doing ok Carnie. x

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information