Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Hanging in there, ish.

Re: Hanging in there, ish.

Quote Originally Posted by Carnation View Post
    Darksky, I quite like Eurovision and Mr C and I watch it religiously every year. Yeah I know it's mostly crap with no music standard of years gone by, but hasn't music in general taken a nosedive. We get a good laugh then wait for the political voting.
    The trouble is many of us have simply allowed the general quality of popular music to deteriorate significantly over the past 30-odd years or so through sheer complacency of our own making.

And yes I know many of the music labels themselves have been partly to blame for making beelines towards the easiest, quickest and cheapest options long before the Internet even took over (quantity over quality and all that), plus I bet many people bemoaning the current state of the music industry haven't even purchased a physical music format for over 20 years, even releases that are still actually worth buying and listening to.

A kind of vicious circle I think.

But nevertheless I'm happy that BI now seems to be feeling over the worst.

Thanks, Lenco.

Honestly, I'm not even sure that the quality of music has deteriorated, it's just that we've got older and popular music always will be about the teens with the passion and the disposable income.

Eurovision itself is a constantly evolving creature, and one year's runaway success might not even have made the final a decade before or after. I think that this year there's a lot of silly stuff, but that may be because Kaarija made such a splash last year. Besides, it's always been about the inclusivity, which is something I can't help but get behind even when some of the songs aren't to my particular taste.

Quote Originally Posted by Carnation View Post
    Yes, I agree.
    Croatia has the package to be a winner.
    Talking of packages,, not sure about the pantless man for Finland but I do like the song. I'd change some of the wording because it's seems more sexual than political, but very punchy.
    Less flashing lights in Eurovision would be better.
    Although I haven't even watched the ESC itself, it does sound to me like the artist from Finland is trying to be a bit too over-reliant on being 'edgy' with the raunchy/'sexualised' stuff, which I feel has basically been done to death elsewhere over the past 30-odd years or so to the point where it's now no longer exciting nor shocking for the most part.

Interesting and exciting back in say, 1994 perhaps, but a bit same old same old in 2024, especially subject matter in general that warrants the 'Explicit' tag.

Also the producers should be more clued up about the 'flashing lights' thing by now, especially with possible epilepsy triggers in mind, but obviously choosing not to care.

Quote Originally Posted by BlueIris View Post
    Thanks, Lenco.

Honestly, I'm not even sure that the quality of music has deteriorated, it's just that we've got older and popular music always will be about the teens with the passion and the disposable income.

Eurovision itself is a constantly evolving creature, and one year's runaway success might not even have made the final a decade before or after. I think that this year there's a lot of silly stuff, but that may be because Kaarija made such a splash last year. Besides, it's always been about the inclusivity, which is something I can't help but get behind even when some of the songs aren't to my particular taste.
    Yes, you're probably right in the sense that popular music in general has almost always been primarily aimed at the teen market and concurrently despised by the older generations as 'tuneless/talentless din' poisoning the minds of the youngsters, basically for as long as it has existed.

But generally speaking, there seems to have been a noticeable narrowing of the generation gap over the past 20 years or so, especially in terms of what music people listen to.

Like I've said before, up until about 20 years ago, youngsters would never have been seen dead listening to 'older' music nor non-'chart' music.

Having watched the first semi, Finland was ridiculous and maybe a bit embarrassing, but the UK entry was far more explicit - hunt it down on YouTube if you're curious. Finland was basically just like a Carry On film from way back when - make of that what you will.

Bright lights are a migraine trigger for me and can send me temporarily blind, so I have to have a keen sense of when to look away

Lol darksky

How are you today Blueiris?

Back to worrying about my period, Carnation - it's day 7 and I'm spotting like always but the anxiety is strong.

Very tired and achy and keen to get home from work - Mr. Iris said yesterday he had no idea how I was able to go back to work as early as I did.

I was thinking the same as Mr Iris. Proves you are made of strong stuff and I know there's the case of you have to.

Days 7 means it's on its way out. Even a day 8 is nothing to concern yourself with. I always had long and heavy periods. Residue after the main drag.
    When your periods stop through menopause it truly is like a gift from God.
    I used to think, surely I'm experiencing a more heavier time than other women, but no, they just covered it up well or were too embarrassed to talk about it.
    I hope in time you can have an easier time mentally on this subject. Google has a lot to answer for.

I agree, and it's harder when I'm tired and overloaded.

I need to be home already, the panic is back and I'm struggling to think straight. Going to do a few breathing exercises at my desk, I think.

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread Information