Thread: Kid has Covid - So tired of this!!!

Kid has Covid - So tired of this!!!

This weekend was huge for me - I found out I passed the bar exam and it was my birthday. My family went on a weekend get away. It was the first time in ages that I let myself relax. I didn’t bring masks because almost all of what we did was outside except for one dinner. Covid numbers are tiny right now. We had an amazing time and I thought to myself - wow, that felt like normal life again.

Then, we got home Monday and I his morning my daughter woke up sick and tested positive for Covid. This is the second time she’s had it. I’ve already had it twice and the last time I developed POTS, had persistent dizziness for months, and when I had routine bloodwork done a few months later had dangerously high vascular inflammation.

It makes me so nervous both for her to have it a second time and the high likelihood that I’ll get it for a third time. I’m also just so incredibly sad that we can’t just live our lives without constantly worrying about this and the second I let my guard down to have one celebration, there’s Covid. I’m so tired of it.

Re: Kid has Covid - So tired of this!!!

It's probably nothing really to worry too much about of late, especially as the media (especially on our side of the Atlantic) hasn't mentioned anything about Covid for ages now (touch wood).

I'm sure for most people current Covid is nothing more than an ordinary cold. In fact, probably even less than that now in some cases.

I think it's less about the media, though, and more about the problems Erin has already suffered. I'd be nervous, too, in her position.

Quote Originally Posted by BlueIris View Post
    I think it's less about the media, though, and more about the problems Erin has already suffered. I'd be nervous, too, in her position.
    I totally understand.

Congrats on passing the bar!

I get it. I’m still very covid cautious myself, and I have a friend who I am pretty sure has long covid but no doctor will tell her that. It can be a hard place to be to try to be cautious about staying healthy, in a world that seems okay with getting sick. I’m sure your daughter will be fine, and as scary as it is, the best you can do is try to take care of yourself while taking care of her. Do you have any kind of air filters? Are you planning to mask in your home? I know some people do and others think that’s excessive. At least it’s getting a bit nice out, maybe letting in fresh air will help as well.

I hope you stay healthy and your daughter gets better too.
    Sometimes I fly like an eagle, sometimes I'm deep in despair.

Congratulations on the bar exam! Such good news.

Thanks, friends!

So much of me really wants to believe it's just like a regular cold, but based on my experience it just hasn't been. Even my 9 year old had a 102 fever last night, which is obviously not a normal cold symptom. My case was very mild last time, but I still ended up with so many weird symptoms afterwards.

So far I feel ok - I think today is the day I'd likely start getting sick. I've been very careful - I have her set up in our guest room with the big bed and the TV so she can camp out and watch Netflix all day without spreading stuff all over the house. I have our good air filter running upstairs and I'm wearing a mask whenever I'm up there. I'm hoping if I get to tomorrow or the next day without symptoms I'll be in the clear and she'll start to get better and maybe test negative.

Well, it's been 6 day since she got sick and so far my husband and I have avoided getting it! I don't want to speak to soon, but she tested negative twice yesterday and twice today, so we stopped making her hide out in the guest room, ha. She's a tiny bit stuffy, but no trace of virus in her nose so I'm going to assume that she's no longer contageous. I think if we make it another day or two I'll feel confident that we've made it through. It does make me feel better about Covid transmission generally. We laid on the couch together and watched a movie the first night she was sick, I put her to bed and sat in her room reading for like 30 minutes, I got her up in the morning and was hanging out on the couch with her for a few hours before we tested her and she was DARK positive (so she almost certainly would have tested positive the day before if we'd tested her). The day before she got symptoms we were in the car with her for 4.5 hours.

Thread Information