Quote Originally Posted by Peter A View Post
People think smoking is cool, but it is destroying our health. Yes, second hand smoke is also a problem. So I support the new smoking law the government has planned.
I agree 100% in principle, but I have my reservations about how enforceable such legislation is in practice, especially as they can't always effectively manage existing smoking-related legislation, such as parents smoking in cars with children present, some shops still seemingly selling tobacco products (and alcohol) to under 18s 'on the sly', presumably because they feel they need the profits and/or don't want the aggro from 'underage' customers when refusing such sales, etc.

I know on the face of it it may seem like I'm being defeatist and acting as an apologist for underage smokers and the like, but a lot of it is more to do with a chronic lack of resources among the authorities, plus they're often not really interested in dealing with such issues and never really have been as far back as I can remember.

I also believe such deficiencies are chronically entrenched into British society and culture in the long run in general, especially the 'rather just avoid/ignore issues than try to deal with them effectively' and 'not my problem' kind of attitudes.

Also the British govt (especially the Tories) are all talk and very little action a lot of the time anyway.