Quote Originally Posted by Carnation View Post
I had a driving phobia for years! And I stopped driving completely until a few months ago.
Like you say it becomes unbearable and repercussions of PAs. I left it far too long to drive again but what I realised was, it was the thoughts when driving, not the driving itself. Driving becomes a second nature and you do it automatically and that left my mind to wander. Whether I needed such a long break, I don't know and I'm still a bit nervous when I drive sometimes but I drive in my comfort zone now. I used to drive the motorways in all hours long distance. I don't feel confident to do that anymore. And there are many drivers that don't. Your driving skills are not issue, it's the thinking you do when you drive. In other words you have to be 100% on the driving and nothing else. I've also got a different car which I think has helped. And I have someone with me when I drive.
With the roundabouts, which are obviously difficult to avoid, maybe you could say something like "there she is, what a beauty" instead of the fear aspect that comes into your head. Or even laugh at it until you use them with no fear again. I personally wouldn't push yourself for a while with the motorway driving and it is possible to avoid them and take other routes.
You could also try some meditation Apps just before you drive or affirmations. "I have nothing to fear, I have nothing to fear, I have nothing to fear". "I'm a good driver, I'm a good driver, I'm a good driver".
Thank you for sharing your experience and insights on driving phobia. It's great to hear that you were able to overcome your fear and start driving again, even if it's within your comfort zone. Your advice on focusing solely on driving and not letting your mind wander is very helpful, as well as finding ways to reframe your thoughts about roundabouts.

Additionally, using affirmations and meditation before driving can be helpful for reducing anxiety and increasing confidence. It's important to take things at your own pace and not push yourself too hard, especially when it comes to driving on the motorway. Overall, it's important to find what works best for you and to seek support from loved ones or professionals if needed.