Thread: Pain worse after seeing physio

Pain worse after seeing physio

So I more just want to talk to people about this as it helps to vent frustrations sometimes, and would appreciate anyone's thoughts.

I've been having a sort of back pain for the last 3 weeks. It's more actually in my ribs but deep inside and hurts the most when taking a breath in.

Anyway, for the last week, it was actually SLOWLY improving. I was being very careful not to aggravate it, moving carefully etc and I was seeing some improvement. I had a physio appointment booked last night so I went and told him that my pain was getting a bit better. He had me lie on my front and was pressing quite hard on the area and manipulating parts of my back etc...

So today, the pain is basically back (har har) to where it was a week ago, and all the improvement that I saw has gone out the window.

Is it normal to feel worse the day after a physio session? I kind of expected maybe some muscle pain and tenderness afterwards but what's actually worse is the SPECIFIC pain I've been experiencing for the last 3 weeks. Not around it, but the actual issue is worse. Is this a normal occurrence? Thankfully it was my last physio session... lol.

Re: Pain worse after seeing physio

I think its normal to feel sore and tender. I had physical therapy for my hips and leg pain. The therapist would manipulate the areas and make me do stretch exercises, the next day I'd be in pain. But after awhile it got better. But there was this one day when he did a really deep manipulation and I was hurting for days.

Absolutely normal, particularly worse when they get quite deep in to the muscles/joints etc. I had two huge bruises on my back, the bruised area and the initial pain was still painful on my next session a week later xx

Thanks guys that's reassuring. It's just a bit frustrating that actually things were improving, then I went to the physio who's supposed to help matters, and now it feels worse again :/
    Last edited by KayeS; 30-12-15 at 17:46.

Just concurring with the others. Let's face it, do we do the exercises, stretches and things they tell us to do outside of the physio appointment? Well... sometimes, but if we're really honest with ourselves, most of us don't, so we go to the appointment, work harder than we have all week and are sore the next couple of days

Positive thoughts
    "Eat. Drink. Enjoy the work you do. Be thankful for the blessings God gives you in this life. Live, love and seek out the things that bring your heart joy. The rest is meaningless... Like chasing the wind." King Solomon

The best help is the help you give yourself! http://cbt4panic.org/

Quote Originally Posted by Fishmanpa View Post
    Just concurring with the others. Let's face it, do we do the exercises, stretches and things they tell us to do outside of the physio appointment? Well... sometimes, but if we're really honest with ourselves, most of us don't, so we go to the appointment, work harder than we have all week and are sore the next couple of days

Positive thoughts
    Lol I'm actually laughing because I didn't do the exercises I was told to do... BUT the main reason I didn't was because I found them to actually aggravate the problem more... and found that if I instead just avoided any movements that seemed to do so, my back pain improved... Then he went and undid all my hard work... lol.

Thread Information