Thread: Is this anxiety?

Is this anxiety?

Hi

I'm new to posting here but have been reading this forum from time to time whilst trying to explain an odd set of symptoms I have been suffering over the last year.

I'll spare you my life story and jump straight into the good stuff.

About a year ago, I was sitting at my desk at work when I started to get a twitch in my left eye. A few seconds later I felt a sudden wave rush through my body (sorry, not easy to describe) and then experienced a spell of extreme dizziness/light headedness. The whole experience only lasted a few seconds but scared the bejesus out of me.

Immediately following that I began to get heart palpitations, started to feel very cold (especially in my hands), began to shake/shiver, felt a lump in my throat, developed restless legs and suddenly needed the toilet. This second phase lasted about an hour.

The final thing I was left with was a feeling of utter exhaustion and overall calm which lasted a few hours more.

Since then I have had numerous bouts of exactly the same symptoms, in exactly the same order. I know it's about to happen the second I feel that eye twitching.

Does this sound like a classic manifestation of anxiety (if there is such a thing)? I'm 32 and had been otherwise completely healthy up to that point.

I have been to the doctor about it and told frequently that they can find nothing wrong with me, even to the point of having an MRI which came back normal. I am now taking propranolol which has stopped the heart palpitations but these episodes continue to occur every few weeks, minus the pounding heart.

Sorry for rambling, seems I have a lot to say from my experiences amassed over the last year, I'd be very interested to hear your thoughts.

Thanks

Re: Is this anxiety?

It's interesting because I've experienced all these same symptoms, and mine are definitely caused by anxiety, but I don't get them in any particular order. Since your symptoms do come in order, maybe if you could calm yourself down when your eye starts twitching, then you could prevent the other things from being so bad?
    Just a thought!

Re: Is this anxiety?

Hi,

Yes this definitely sounds like anxiety. This is the same as my panic attacks apart from mine start with a pain in my head. I only started getting these in January but luckily had nothing as bad as my first one, I was nearly in A&E. I started on propranalol but now take sertraline as well. Only on day 5 of sertraline but so far so good. Just a few side effects but nothing I can't handle. I start to panic as soon as I get the sore head just like your eye twitching, the worrying knowing it's going to happen does not make things easier. I even get the "wave" I thought this was a blood clot moving round my body, our minds certainly do not help us.

Take care,
    Donna

Thread Information