Thread: Terrified of Checking My Breasts

Terrified of Checking My Breasts

My health anxiety has reared its ugly head again, this time I’m back to breast cancer fear. I always have this fear at the back of my head and never ever check my breast. Then every so often I’ll be gripped by fear and beat myself up because I don’t check them. I just cant bring myself to do it.
    About 10 years ago and used to check them multiple times a day, even when on holiday to Disneyland, I would go to the toilet to check them. I ended up making my breasts extremely sore. So then I stopped checking completely.
    I’m convinced I’ll find something, at this point in my life I cannot deal with anymore bad things. I have been through so much trauma and have two children. One has a heart condition which required open heart surgery last year and my partner has had a health scare where I thought he was dying infront of me a few months ago.
    I feel very stressed and this is adding to the stress, I can’t deal with anymore but I know that not checking won’t help either.
    Feel sick at the thought of even touching my breasts.
    Does anyone else not check?

Re: Terrified of Checking My Breasts

Quote Originally Posted by LouiseC1896 View Post
    My health anxiety has reared its ugly head again, this time I’m back to breast cancer fear. I always have this fear at the back of my head and never ever check my breast. Then every so often I’ll be gripped by fear and beat myself up because I don’t check them. I just cant bring myself to do it.
    About 10 years ago and used to check them multiple times a day, even when on holiday to Disneyland, I would go to the toilet to check them. I ended up making my breasts extremely sore. So then I stopped checking completely.
    I’m convinced I’ll find something, at this point in my life I cannot deal with anymore bad things. I have been through so much trauma and have two children. One has a heart condition which required open heart surgery last year and my partner has had a health scare where I thought he was dying infront of me a few months ago.
    I feel very stressed and this is adding to the stress, I can’t deal with anymore but I know that not checking won’t help either.
    Feel sick at the thought of even touching my breasts.
    Does anyone else not check?
    Hi there, this is also one of my fears and after constant checking and making myself sore I did make a GP appointment to give me some reassurance. I was extremely lucky with the GP I had an explained my anxiety, we then came to a decision that she would check for me every 8-12 weeks so I didn’t need to stress and anxiety of doing it myself.
    Could this be an option for you if you can find a GP who is understanding of health anxiety.

Re: Terrified of Checking My Breasts

Hi, thanks for responding. I think I had too much caffeine the other night when I posted this. My fears are still there but I was freaking out. However, I did go in a shower after posting and did a quick check. I don’t want to go down that road again where I’m checking constantly.
    I’m not sure if I could go to the gp for it. I’ve had it done once about 8 years ago. I think I just need to get a grip and check, not every month but more than I’m doing now.

Thread Information