Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Sinus Infection, concerned about coughing blood

Re: Sinus Infection, concerned about coughing blood

Yeah, there are lots of tiny blood vessels near the surface so the force and repetitive coughing/sneezing can just end up bursting them, Carnation. You've had it before so it's likely just more of the same.

The time to worry with blood is when it's an abnormal amount. If you were coughing up spoonfuls of the stuff then something needs investigating. But specks are nothing.

I hope you feel better soon. I have always hated hayfever season. I'm pretty lucky these days as it doesn't affect me much now but years ago I used to wish June away every year!

Thank you glassgirlw x
    Good to hear from you, hope you are ok.

Thank you Terry x
    Yes, I have had the blood thing before and obviously the sinus issue is ongoing. But probably because my anxiety is up and we have a Covid situation, I seem far more concerned. Not because I think I have the virus, but a normal query to a doctor is now a scary situation.
    Also any sign of blood is a worry. Where is it coming from, will there be more, am I in danger. If it was coming from my nose I wouldn't be so concerned, but it's when I have a severe bout of coughing.
    And now acid reflux has joined in as well.
    I feel like my insides are taking a bashing and I don't think I want to know what it looks like.

Here we go again.
    I've got a pretty bad sinus infection and accompanying it a bad cough. My nose is blocked and I can feel the trickle going down my throat causing me to cough.
    Well yesterday morning (trigger warning), I coughed up a fair amount of blood but that could have been from my gum injury so didn't worry about it too much.
    But this morning I coughed up more, darker in colour, not as much and mixed with mucus.
    So I'm in a dilemma thinking "is it the old stuff from the gum or from my chest".
    I'm breathing ok and I can go all day without coughing but come the evening / night time, off it goes again.
    What I'd like to know is if anyone else has had coughing with blood with a sinus infection. Not just a few specks but about a teaspoon.
    Mr C says it's related to my gums, but why would I get this from coughing? I'm so worried.

Hi Carnation...

It most certainly is caused with the sinuses, when you blow your nose is the catarrh yellow in colour, if it is it could be an infection which might need antibiotics to clear it....
    If not it could just be your sinuses are blocked and need clearing which is easier said than done, I know....
    The post nasal drip will definitely irritate your throat and make you cough, straining coughing will cause popped blood vessels which will produce blood coming up, but it could also be caused with popped vessels in the nose going down and then making you cough which means it will come back up again....

You have had this quite a few times before with sinuses, this thread alone is 4 years old so that just proves it’s nothing bad.....

Try inhaling hot steam from a bowl to clear the tubes in your sinuses....xxxxx

Thanks for replying YNWA, I've been getting myself into a state again.
    I'm coughing clear and sticky stuff. If I do manage to get anything from my nose, it's also clear.
    The only time it is yellow and very pale yellow is first thing in the morning after coughing. That's more or less my morning routine.
    Yes, I purposely looked for this thread because I've been here before. Does that stop me from worrying? Of course not.
    I'm so fed up with these sinuses.
    It makes no difference if I stay in or go out. Rest or not rest. Have windows open or shut. Plough myself with
    drinks. It just keeps reproducing.
    I hate to think what the inside of my throat looks like.

No sometimes we never know what causes it, I never do, just have to cope best I can till it decides to go better...
    Well that’s good it’s clear, shows there is no infection, just all congested, and there are that many little tubes connected to the sinuses it’s unreal, that’s why it can affect so many different areas and not just the front of your face like they show on the adverts...it also can have a knock on affect with other things....

I’m sure you have nothing to worry about Carnation, it’s more of a nuisance and uncomfortable feeling than anything else.

You have been here before and no doubt be here again in the future with it, just try and not let auntie anxiety bully you into thinking horrible thoughts....xxx

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information