Thread: Is my dose too high

Is my dose too high

Hi I was feeling rubbish and couldn’t get out of it so I upped my dose from 20 to 30, it’s been
    about 7 weeks and my anxiety is worse. Do u think I should go back down to 20mg?

Re: Is my dose too high

Quote Originally Posted by carolf View Post
    Hi I was feeling rubbish and couldn't get out of it so I upped my dose from 20 to 30, it's been
    about 7 weeks and my anxiety is worse. Do u think I should go back down to 20mg?
    The recommended maximum citalopram dose for a healthy adult is 40mg/day, less if you're over ~60yo or have liver disease, so you're probably still within the recommended dose range. Because of its relatively long half-life citalopram can take a little longer to kick-in than most SSRIs, both when first taking it and after dose increases and anxiety levels may also increase for some weeks.

I'd give the 30mg another week to show effectiveness. If it doesn't you could try dropping back to 20mg/day. If you see no improvement after 5-7 days then you'll probably need to switch to another antidepressant.

Re: Is my dose too high

Quote Originally Posted by carolf View Post
    Hi I was feeling rubbish and couldn’t get out of it so I upped my dose from 20 to 30, it’s been
    about 7 weeks and my anxiety is worse. Do u think I should go smash karts back down to 20mg?
    I am sorry to hear that you are not feeling better after increasing your dose. Remember that it is important to consult your doctor before changing your dose to ensure your health!

Thread Information