Thread: Blood pressure worry

Blood pressure worry

I’m 42, am not overweight, don’t smoke, eat reasonably well, don’t drink too much and run three times a week. I have a history of health anxiety and after getting a free blood pressure check at the pharmacy which turned out to be 135/90 I’ve fallen into a cycle of self testing. My BP can be around 120/80 early in the morning but varies a lot and has been as high as 145/95. I went to the GP who also tested me and noted it was on the high side and is sending me for a 24hr check to “clear the air”.
    To compound matters, I’ve been taking Venlafaxine for over a decade and wonder if this is contributing to a slightly high BP.
    1. Are there links between Venlafaxine and raised blood pressure?
    2. Could the rises and falls be explained by increased activity and anxiety throughout the day and even “white coat hypertension”?
    Any advice and thoughts on the matter would really help me.
    Thanks )

Re: Blood pressure worry

Your diastolic is a bit high. Years ago they used to worry more about systolic. Then they worried more about diastolic. Now the current thinking is both are important.

as far as I’m aware, there’s no link between your medication and high blood pressure.

High blood pressure is extremely common - 1 in 2 people (age standardised) have high blood pressure. I myself developed high blood pressure at the ripe age of 28. I’ve been on Lisinopril and Amlodipine ever since. The blood pressure is now well controlled (except when I eat too much salt and drink too much alcohol)

There are 1000000s worse diagnosis’ you could be facing. High blood pressure - I don’t even bat an eyelid at it anymore.

If your blood pressure is high, take an ACE inhibitor and watch it drop. (You’re in that grey area though (in your 40s) where they might want to try a calcium channel blocker eg Amlodipine first)

It’s also normal for blood pressure to rise and fall throughout the day. Nobody - not even athletes - have 120/80 all the time.

Worrying about Brain Tumours since 2012!

Re: Blood pressure worry

Quote Originally Posted by RadioGaGa View Post
    Your diastolic is a bit high. Years ago they used to worry more about systolic. Then they worried more about diastolic. Now the current thinking is both are important.

as far as I’m aware, there’s no link between your medication and high blood pressure.

High blood pressure is extremely common - 1 in 2 people (age standardised) have high blood pressure. I myself developed high blood pressure at the ripe age of 28. I’ve been on Lisinopril and Amlodipine ever since. The blood pressure is now well controlled (except when I eat too much salt and drink too much alcohol)

There are 1000000s worse diagnosis’ you could be facing. High blood pressure - I don’t even bat an eyelid at it anymore.

If your blood pressure is high, take an ACE inhibitor and watch it drop. (You’re in that grey area though (in your 40s) where they might want to try a calcium channel blocker eg Amlodipine first)

It’s also normal for blood pressure to rise and fall throughout the day. Nobody - not even athletes - have 120/80 all the time.
    Thanks for taking the time to reply. Yes very valid points. I’ve been on the meds for 14 years without review and read a lot about how they can impact BP. The fact I’m a bit fixated on it at present is probably not helping!!!

Thread Information