Thread: Sertraline while pregnant?

Sertraline while pregnant?

Hello,

I'm taking sertraline since mid March. Before, I was taking Paroxetine, but my doctor switched the meds when I infrmed her I wanted to have a child. So, exactly a week ago I found out that I'm pregnant. I will visit my doctor in mid July (no earlier dates available :() and we'll see if I can lower my dose or even stop taking it. But I'm scared sertraline will hurt my child. Especially in this first trimester. I know it's considered safe, but when I try to read some forums about it, the vast majority of women started taking it further in the pregnancy, and wasn't on it so early as me.

Was anyone of you on this drug while pregnant? Especially a while before pregnancy and then throughout it?

Re: Sertraline while pregnant?

Congratulations!
    i took it while pregnant. My daughter is 10 now and perfect…

Hi

This is just a courtesy reply to let you know that your post was moved from its original place to a sub-forum that is more relevant to your issue.

This is nothing personal - it just enables us to keep posts about the same problems in the relevant forums so other members with any experience with the issues can find them more easily.

Please also read this post:

http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/showthread.php?t=213239

“Don't be afraid of death; be afraid of an unlived life. You don't have to live forever, you just have to live.” - Natalie Babbitt

Please help keep NMP running and donate to the running costs: http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/donate

Quote Originally Posted by Lucidite1 View Post
    Hello,

I'm taking sertraline since mid March. Before, I was taking Paroxetine, but my doctor switched the meds when I infrmed her I wanted to have a child.
    Paroxetine is the only SSRI for which there is good evidence of harm to the developing fetus. Sertraline is the preferred SSRI because little if any of it is expressed in breast milk.

I will visit my doctor in mid July (no earlier dates available :() and we'll see if I can lower my dose or even stop taking it. But I'm scared sertraline will hurt my child. Especially in this first trimester.
    Unfortunately, antidepressants and pregnancy is an issue where there is no clear cut 'right' answer for maternal anxiety and/or depression may also impact the baby during both gestation and childhood. Babies born to anxious or depressed mothers tend to have lower birth weights, be born prematurely and have impaired neuronal development. As children and adults they are more prone to asthma and learning difficulties. They are also much more likely to develop anxiety disorders and/or depression later in life.

See also:

Prenatal stress may have lifelong effects, study shows,

Childhood psychiatric symptom risk strongly linked to adverse exposures during gestation

The Effects of Prenatal Stress on Child Behavioural and Cognitive Outcomes Start at the Beginning

Thread Information