PDA

View Full Version : fear of Schizophrenia

dc100
01-02-11, 14:01
hi all - i have suffered from anxiety for years and ocd over the past few weeks it has got a lot worst than before i recently become a father for the first time and my symptoms have gone into overdrive -

i havnt sleep much for the last few weeks with the little one but i keep getting horrible intrusive thoughts of harming my new baby on purpose and worry all the stress will cause schizophrenia due to my horrible thoughts. i worry i will start hearing voices which will cause me to lose control and harm someone. i also worry my food maybe contaminated which will cause me to also lose control.

i just feel im going mad and worried about the thoughts and i cant seem to clear my mind. any help or advice

European
01-02-11, 16:15
Even if you tried your hardest, it would be pretty much impossible to make yourself become schizophrenic. So, please, lean back a little and relax.

I think what you're going through at the moment is a reasonably common reaction amongst new parents, and particularly new fathers. Being a dad is a massive responsibility, not to mention the potential effects this might have on the dynamics of one's relationship/life, etc., which is more than likely to change to some extent. All these aspects can cause insecurities, and I think it's more than understandable - and perfectly natural! - that one will have to adjust to the new situation, and the new citizen of this world.

So, why not accept the situation as it is at the moment, and why not accept your own insecurity about it, which is perfectly normal? Intrusive thoughts are generally a sign for emotions that are being repressed (and not in flow), and I think it would make sense for you to actually look inside yourself and recognise and acknowledge what you're actually feeling. Even if these feelings should be somewhat negative at this moment in time, in that you're not quite sure how to deal and cope with the new situation. That's quite alright!

Just accept how you feel, instead of putting the lid on and pretending you're perfect, because like everybody else, you're not. And if you have doubts, or insecurities concerning the new arrival, that is a pretty normal and understandable reaction, and maybe it would make sense to talk to those nearest and dearest around you about it. I'm sure they'll understand, and there is a good chance they might even feel very similar to how you are feeling.

Let yourself be - I'm sure everything will be alright! Being a dad (or a parent!) is not something we are born with, but it's something we have to learn and acquire step by step as we are going along. Be kind to yourself and allow yourself to learn along the way, and thus growing into the new role of dad, and I'm sure you will be perfectly alright and might even enjoy it. All in your own good time.

All the best! :)

kvnfrnk
05-02-11, 06:05
Hi,

From my point of view, if you had schizophrenia you wouldn't doubt that you had it, you'd believe that you were completely sane and that everyone else is either ignorant to the reality of the world, or in on the conspiracy.

Hope this helps.

Cheers and good-luck.

sammie
05-02-11, 18:34
hi

the fear of schizophrenia is very common with acute anxiety - you cannot make yourself become schitz nor can anxiety lead to it.

it sounds like your having intrusive thoughts due to anxiety and probably lack of sleep.

samx

bajope
05-02-11, 19:40
I've also heard that the fear of hurting someone you love is a very common symptom of high anxiety/panic.

You won't act on it. Your mind is just over stimulated now. The thought will diminish as your anxiety goes away.