PDA

View Full Version : Hypercondria

Tom12345
27-01-11, 19:54
My name is Tom and I am a hypercondriac. I haven't had this "syndrome" for long. I am now 41 and have just suffered over the past four years.

My problem started when I approached the age my father was when he died of testicular cancer - 39. I was convinced I was to die at the same age as him.

I have a son - by a horrible coincidence the age gap between my son and I is exactly the same as it was between my father and I. So when I reached 39 I would look at me expecting to die and look at my 6 year old son seeing me 33 years ago.

I didn't die when I passed 39 and I thought the hypercondria would go. It did for a while but comes back regularly. I have had episodic panic attacks and anxiety. Ran out of meetings, disembarked trains, disembarked from a plane.

I have tried hypnosis, accupuncture and CBT. All were helpful but all wore off.

I have had a colonoscopy, gastroscopy, MRI brain scan, ECG tests for Guillain Barre (pins and needles all over arms and legs) and most recently a prostate biopsy (high PSA test from an extensive blood test). None of this has been on the NHS as I have private health insurance.

I have IBS. At first I was alarmed. When the conditions start again I am agitated for a few days, then become angry and force myself to be positive. Is this the best way to deal with our fears? Shout at ourselves that we are positive, that we can grab life and enjoy it and not fear it?

I do not want medication for my anxiety - I have seen enough medics over the past four years to last a lifetime.

I even now have a private GP to take off the burden on the NHS. He is a good friend but I bet he regrets the day he started seeing me.

Friends, how should we deal with hypercondria? Should we laugh at this horrible syndrome when it appears, or should we "reason" it away? Your thoughts valued.

nomorepanic
27-01-11, 19:55
Hi Tom12345

A huge warm welcome to nmp.

You'll get loads of advice and support here and make some lovely friends along the way.

Best wishes

Vanilla Sky
27-01-11, 21:14
Hi and welcome to NMP :welcome:
Paige x