PDA

View Full Version : I want to stop taking my pulse!!

Mikey_99123
10-01-11, 10:51
Hi all,

Like a lot of other people on here I constantly take my pulse and use it to tell how I'm doing. Slow = good, fast = bad. Never mind that I might just have done activity or be hot or just eaten, etc. fast always = bad!

Anybody got any top tips on how I can stop doing this as I'm doing well in other areas but this is a habit I'm struggling to break.....

Thanks,

anx mum
10-01-11, 11:19
Hi all,

Like a lot of other people on here I constantly take my pulse and use it to tell how I'm doing. Slow = good, fast = bad. Never mind that I might just have done activity or be hot or just eaten, etc. fast always = bad!

Anybody got any top tips on how I can stop doing this as I'm doing well in other areas but this is a habit I'm struggling to break.....

Thanks,

im the same at mo and mine is always fast think we check it for resurrance even tho we get more anxious.

JaneC
10-01-11, 11:46
I really think you just have to somehow find the willpower to stop Mikey. I currently need to stop googling about swelling in my neck and the only thing I can think of is just to tell myself not to, and if I feel the urge to walk away from the computer and go and distract myself with something else, like you would do if trying to give up smoking (not that I've ever managed that :doh:) x

Ella_Jayne
10-01-11, 12:19
I used to check my pulse constantly. I don't do it now, well very rarely. How I stopped? Well, everytime I had the urge to check I just told myself not to, it was REALLY hard but after a while I just stopped. When I went to CBT my therapist said I could try setting times aside to do it, for instance 2.30pm and 4.30pm and no other times. I didn't try this but she said it works for a lot of people.

Checking my pulse really did add to my anxiety as if it was a tad fast I would panic, make it faster and then painc some more, visious circle. So cutting it down and then completely out will help tons with your anxiety levels. Your heart will do it's job perfectly fine without you checking it. Remember that.

:)

anx mum
10-01-11, 12:28
I used to check my pulse constantly. I don't do it now, well very rarely. How I stopped? Well, everytime I had the urge to check I just told myself not to, it was REALLY hard but after a while I just stopped. When I went to CBT my therapist said I could try setting times aside to do it, for instance 2.30pm and 4.30pm and no other times. I didn't try this but she said it works for a lot of people.

Checking my pulse really did add to my anxiety as if it was a tad fast I would panic, make it faster and then painc some more, visious circle. So cutting it down and then completely out will help tons with your anxiety levels. Your heart will do it's job perfectly fine without you checking it. Remember that.

How fast was your pulse hun? Im really scared cos mines racing all the time

ladybird64
10-01-11, 12:30

Ella can I ask if you have finished your CBT or is it still ongoing?

Ella_Jayne
10-01-11, 12:41
How fast was your pulse hun? Im really scared cos mines racing all the time

It used to go up to it's 160's with panic, honestly it was FAST! Now since my anxiety has eased a bit it's fine, 60's-70's.

Ella can I ask if you have finished your CBT or is it still ongoing?

It's finished. I had two attempts at CBT, first one didn't work. The second time around with a different more experienced therapist really helped.

blueangel
10-01-11, 12:45
Monitoring ourselves is a really common symptom of anxiety. I find that if I'm not careful, I think about my IBS constantly, which of course only makes it worse.

I suppose you could try weaning yourself off checking - limit yourself to a set number of times per day to start with, and then reduce it gradually.

ladybird64
10-01-11, 12:47
I'm glad it's worked for you, although I don't have HA it is recommended for a wide range of issues as Im sure you know.

I think it can be quite difficult for those of us who don't have HA when we try and answer a post by someone who has, I often wonder if I am posting the right thing in encouraging someone to try and change their behaviours bit by bit.

Seeing as you have advised it too gives me a bit more confidence to answer if I think it can help.

Thanks.