PDA

View Full Version : I feel normal today.

Sarah E.
21-03-06, 01:38
Hello. I am Sarah. I am writing this as I am feeling "normal" for the first time in 4 years. I was diagnosed this past Friday with severe Generalized Anxiety Disorder. Can't say I was surprised. I guess when your days are consumed with worry of death, fear and other "quirks" something just isn't right. I went to see a psychiatrist and within 10 minutes he helped to learn that what I have is a REAL disease...not just in my head. In fact he told me that I may be suffering from a biological disorder NOT a psychological disorder. He also recommended an amazing book called The Anxiety Disease. It is great...even contains some self surveys to help determine where you are in the disease. He also put me on some medicine that worked immediately...I can't believe the relief I have been feeling. I am also on medicine that will take several weeks to kick in. The good news that I learned is that with the right combination of medicine and treatment...no matter how far along you are in the disease...you can get help and live VIRTUALLY symptom free. I didn't think I could ever even type all this...normally it would have brought on a "spell" or even a panic attack. My heart goes out to everyone who is suffering. Someday this disease will be accepted by the masses as a REAL disease as many medical advances are being made towards tests to identify this illness (such as urine and blood tests). There is hope. Thank you for letting me have a forum to discuss what I have learned. If I had been writing this even 1 week ago...I wouldn't have even been able to get throught it. I was pretty much confined to my couch for 3 days and only had the energy to get work. BARELY. If anyone has any questions about how my treatment is going...don't hesitate to contact me via this forum. Peace, Sarah E.

Alexandra
21-03-06, 08:31
Hi Sarah

Welcome to the forum.

You will find lots of help & support on here

Take Care

Alex

Many People Will Walk
In & Out Of Your Life
But Only True Friends
Will Leave Footprints
In Your Heart

Paddington
21-03-06, 10:14
HI Sarah,i am so glad you have got the helpyou ned to recover,how amazing!What meds have you been given?Other than valium i've never een given any help at all!I DO THINK YOU NEED A GOOD DOCTOR THO'. Mine ie dismissive i'm afraid!Dokeep us informed of your progress.love mary-rose.xxxxxx

we are all in the same boat and can guide each other ashore

weepinky
21-03-06, 13:52
hi sarah

welcome to the forum, I am sooo glad to here that you have received help and are feeling better.

Thanks for recommending The Anxiety Disease book, I will certainly take a look at it.

Good luck with your recovery

Pinky

clickaway
21-03-06, 14:00
Welcome Aboard, Sarah!

I too have GAD, and am seeing a psychotherapist every week. I have my good patches, but as now, bad ones too and this is how it tends to go.

I'd be interested to learn what sparked off your anxiety and what is the most you can manage in the state you have been in.

Good luck with the treatment - maybe your man is referring to a chemical imbalance when he talks about a biological disorder?

Take Care,

Ray
http://www.anxietyrelease.org.uk/

And when you get the choice to sit it out or dance, I hope you dance.
~Mark Sanders and Tia Sillers

MrsCluggy
21-03-06, 15:52
Hi Sarah, and WELCOME !

I have only recently discovered this site and have found it most helpful. I too have been diagnosed with an acute Anxiety Disorder and my Doctor put me on Mertazapine and Diazepam. However, he is talking now about taking me off the Diazepam as they can become quite addictive (even though I'm only taking 2mg). I have my good days and I have my bad days, today being such a day. My problem is that I cannot stand my own company. I hate to be alone in the house. My son is 5yrs old and is now at school full time and my husband, today, has left to go to Spain on a golf trip with his mates. I felt my anxiety rising last night, just at the thought of being on my own for all of today ... and I had to 'give in' and take two Diazepam. Because I know that my Doctor wants me off these, I am using the ones I have left very sparingly because I don't know if he will give me a repeat prescription. Actually, now I've written that down it sounds awful. I know I shouldn't be dependent upon Diazepam but some days, like today, I don't know that I would have done without it. I often rationalise with myself when I take these tablets that the Doctor wouldn't have prescribed them if I didn't really need them. I don't feel so bad them about popping one in y mouth !!!

It really does feel like you're going completely mad doesn't it, when a panic attack hits you. I sometimes have to call my parents to just come and be with me for a couple of hours until I can calm myself down. I'm 36 yrs old and I am still relying on my parents for that added comfort. Ridiculous. Anyway, I am actually counting down the days when my husband returns. He's only gone until Saturday, but it seems like an absolute eternity.

Anyway, welcome once again, there are so many people like us on this website that I am still truly amazed at how many of us are sufferers and that we are definitely not alone with this disease .... and it is a disease, a chemical imbalance in the brain that needs to be treated by medical and positive therapy.

Together we will all come through the other side, I am sure.

Hope this provides you with some comfort.

Jackie.

If the opportunity doesn't knock .... build a door.

jackie
21-03-06, 15:59
hey sarah. as someone who has feared things for 4 years i am really interested in what has happened to bring this change around.

is the book available online?

i have a feal fear of tablets are there any side effects? what do yuo think has made the real difference

a big , no huge congratulations. what a relief to see some glimmers of hope at the end of this long tunnel

jackie

Meg
21-03-06, 20:46
Hello Sarah

WElcome

Very glad you're feeling part of society today and are so positive aboiut your future.

I'm guessing that your feeling 'normal' is not that you're without symptoms or cured overnight but that you realize that you are part of a wide network of people who have this and it is not a stigma or something you are suffering and there are many people out there similar.

Glad you stopped by to say Hi and join us.

Common Symptoms of Panic Attacks, Anxiety, Phobias and OCD. (http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/NMPcms.php?nmppage=symptoms)

First Steps: First Steps to overcoming Panic and Anxiety (http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/showthread.php?t=942)

Health Anxiety (http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/NMPcms.php?nmppage=healthanxiety)

Links post: Links to posts about Common Problems (http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/showthread.php?t=7784)

Meg
www.anxietymanagementltd.com

proactiveness, positivity, persistence, perseverance and practice = progress

Karen
21-03-06, 22:10
Hi Sarah

Welcome to the forum.

Karen

Happiness is not a state to arrive at but a manner of travelling.

You only live once, but if you do it right, once is enough ~ Christine Cagney, Cagney & Lacey

sal
21-03-06, 23:29
Hi Sarah

Great to hear from you, keep in touch.

Love Sal xx

Dont mess up the best things in your life, just because at present you are unsure who you are.

"Life is a distance and to travel that distance you were given the strength and guidance to do so".