PDA

View Full Version : new today

tracey c
23-09-10, 10:07
Hi, I've just found this website today. My problems started in April 10 and I was diagnosed with labyrinthitis, had brain scans etc that were all clear. They have now changed the diagnosis to migraine associated vertigo and panic attacks! I've been put on beta-blockers (1st one today), but reading the leaflet I feel really nervous about taking them.
I really struggle being on my own now. If my partner is not here my mum has had to move back in with me (I'm 42!!!). I feel really poorly and am not convinced with the diagnosis. The doctor said I was having a panic attack when I went on Friday - but if it was would I still be feeling ill now? I've had to book sick at work again today!
Can anyone help or give advice?:wacko:

diane07
23-09-10, 10:08
Hi tracey c

We just wanted to welcome you aboard to NMP. We hope you enjoy your stay here and get all the support and advice you need.

Please take some time to read the website articles on the left as well for loads of advice and tips.

Maj
23-09-10, 10:24
:welcome: Tracey c. Poor you, vertigo and migraines. Vertigo must be very frightening and would knock your confidence for sure. No wonder you feel anxious, who wouldn't be?! I'd definitely be reassured with the diagnosis though. The fact that you've had scans, etc. means that the diagnosis is pretty accurate. I wouldn't worry too much about the betablocker. They don't suit me but loads of people swear by them. Sometimes you're better not reading the leaflet and just taking the tablets! The panic attack at the doc's would have been the adrenaline reaching a peak. The fact that you are still feeling bad is due to the fact that you are suffering from anxiety at the moment, but don't worry, this will pass. You'll get lots of support and reassurance from this site and realise that you're not alone and you can get through this, so don't despair x

paula lynne
23-09-10, 10:27
Hi There, a big welcome...I get migraine, constant vertigo, and panic and anxiety. This site has helped me enormously and Im sure it will for you too. x:welcome:

Hazel B
23-09-10, 11:29
Hi there, you are not alone. My anxiety started in April after many tests for tummy pain, I have a gallbladder issue but every scan brought more fear and panic.
The past 3 years have been awful too, so this was the final straw. I'd lost weight, couldn't do the things I love like reading, listening to music, or watch TV and was convinced I was really ill.
My pulse was over 100bpm and after two weeks of racing heart I went to my GP and asked for help. I now have beta blockers and they have helped. When I finally realised I had anxiety and admitted it to myself it was such a relief.
I am now seeing a counsellor and hope that will help, as well as walking every day, eating well and trying to sleep only at night.
Anxiety does make you feel ill/scared to be alone/worried but you have come to the right place for advice and support.

Snap
23-09-10, 12:41
Hi, I've just found this website today. My problems started in April 10 and I was diagnosed with labyrinthitis, had brain scans etc that were all clear. They have now changed the diagnosis to migraine associated vertigo and panic attacks! I've been put on beta-blockers (1st one today), but reading the leaflet I feel really nervous about taking them.
I really struggle being on my own now. If my partner is not here my mum has had to move back in with me (I'm 42!!!). I feel really poorly and am not convinced with the diagnosis. The doctor said I was having a panic attack when I went on Friday - but if it was would I still be feeling ill now? I've had to book sick at work again today!
Can anyone help or give advice?:wacko:

I won't offer any advice, but I do often wonder whether I have a migrane-like syndrome without the pain. I get visual disturbances and feel unsettled, like nothing is steady, calmness is a distant memory. I used to experience vertigo and would often get tinnitus too. Nowadays, I don't notice the vertigo so much, but I feel things are very unstable visually and perceptually. It typically lasts an hour or two then subsides. The more pronounced it all is, the more exhausted I am at the end. Often, the exhaustion is welcome because it means anxiety is subsiding. Funnily enough, though, it tends to be more that I'm anticipating anxiety than having a lot of adrenaline pumping.

Oh, just make sure it's not happening under flourescent lights. They're awful things. The more I ask, the more I find others experience terrible problems with them. I'd like to do research on this. Indeed, I plan to!

Take care.

tracey c
23-09-10, 12:56
Thank you all for your kind words. It helps to realise that you're not alone and not 'imaging' that things are wrong. Just to here that other people feel the same goes towards calming me down. Thanks x:D

Hazel B
23-09-10, 13:34
You are not imagining things, we all know how it feels. Anxiety and panic make our bodies tired and have all kinds of symptoms, there is lots of information on the left that can help.
Beta-blockers help me but you have to decide yourself on taking meds.
Be kind to yourself.

sammi
23-09-10, 13:37
Hello tracey c. Welcome to nmp Anxiety does make you feel ill it comes with a lot of unpleasant symptoms. Hope you feel better soon x

JaneC
23-09-10, 13:41
You're far from alone Tracey. I'm another one who's had vertigo and it's truly horrible. Has you doc mentioned a drug called serc (betahistine) to you, just wondered if it might be relevant in your case. Doc never suggested it when I had lab, I'd to ask about it after someone else told me about it
:welcome:

tracey c
23-09-10, 14:25
You're far from alone Tracey. I'm another one who's had vertigo and it's truly horrible. Has you doc mentioned a drug called serc (betahistine) to you, just wondered if it might be relevant in your case. Doc never suggested it when I had lab, I'd to ask about it after someone else told me about it
:welcome:
Jane, I had betahistine when it all started - it did nothing for me, what did work was cinnarizine (sea sick tablets!). However my consultant took me off them as he said you have to let your brain compensate. I'm still waiting for that to happen!!!!!!!!!!! :weep:

JaneC
23-09-10, 14:45
That's a shame, Tracey. Hope the betablockers help xx