PDA

View Full Version : Can Anxiety be beaten without medication?

Deepest Blue
27-05-09, 23:25
Do you think it's possible to manage or even cure Anxiety without the use of medication? I have to say, for me, nothing has actually worked and I have tried 5 different meds.

Is there anybody here who doesn't take medication?

Thanks for reading.

NoPoet
27-05-09, 23:59
I think there are too many factors which affect it. The severity of anxiety is the main factor I think, along with the length of time suffered, the actual causes of the anxiety (for example being attacked at night is going to cause more anxiety than a job interview), the mental "toughness" of the person involved and the support the person receives.

I like to think that in most cases people naturally overcome anxiety and depression without having to seek medical advice.

You may be better off trying a talking therapy or signing up for cognitive behavioural therapy -- in my opinion both of these therapies are far better at dealing with anxiety as you can work out long-term solutions, whereas medication should not be used long-term.

Thumbelina
28-05-09, 09:11
Hi D.Blue,

I believe it can. Give it a go if your doctor allows you.
If its not severe and if you can bare it - then why not. I wish actually i dint start medicines. If I had known that 4 years ago there were websites like this I dont think i would need medications. Then I didnt even know what was happening to me.
Medications are very important for some people, depending on condition.
So it will depend whether your doctor will agree to your request.

Regards,

nomorepanic
28-05-09, 11:48
I gave up all medication 11 years ago now and I went down the CBT route and I am fine without it.

lorac
28-05-09, 11:58
Yes you definately can beat it without medication, I am living proof of that.

I tried many meds but none of them agreed with me so decided to fight on without any, it was hard and took me some time but I can honestly say I am so much better now. I think with alot of hard work, understanding and patience it can be done.

I am in no way saying that medication isn't the right route for others I think it all depends on the individual.

Carol

NoPoet
28-05-09, 12:14
Whether you use medication or not, if you are vulnerable to anxiety you are dealing with a personality trait and those are hard to change. Not impossible, just hard!

I used to be a really angry, moody person who would brood over the smallest insult and would generally snap and behave unpredictably. I changed that over time and now (with the exception of road rage!) I am quieter, calmer, much friendlier and better able to laugh at life and myself.

People can change if they really want to.

tasia
28-06-09, 22:20
Yes it deffinately can I had depression and anxiety disorder and have never been on tablets I saw a psychiatric nurse every week and this wonderful lady told me to buy a book called self help for your nerves...by Dr Claire Weeks..it was a fantastic easy to understand read its almost as if she is standing infront of you telling you what to do..this book was and still is my saviour my depression went i do still suffer with anxiety and panic attacks but from this book ive learned so so much about mental health problems, my own problems and i can deal with a hell of alot of things and never take tablets..only my herbal spray that helps you relax naturally..please buy this book...its fantastic, xxxx

sharona
29-06-09, 08:15
Hi

I think it can be, bt you have to help yourself. I was on medication, tried 4 different anti depressants for my anxiety. I could not take them due to the side effects, which made thngs worse and caused health anxiety.

I have been off mine for 4 weeks now and am still getting withdrawrul symptoms but they are getting better.

I now take vitamins and supplements, Vitamin b complex, magnesium, calcium, lemon balm, omega 3 and starflower and evening primrose.

They have helped me come off the meds but like other posts everyones body is different.

I did not want to go on meds at the start, but I did not know what they were like unitil I started to take them. This site has given me so much help and support. I wish I knew about NMP before I went to my doctors.

I have now taught myself to try to control my anxiety, its not easy in the beggining but you will get used to it.

Like I said everyone is different and may need medication but I CHOOSE to come off it with advice from my doctor.

Hope everything goes well.

Sharona

carlos678
01-07-09, 15:01
Depends on the cause; if your anxiety is caused by a chemical/hormonal imbalance (over active thyroid, low testosterone ect) then medication would be required. 99% of the time its not, so i agree - can be beaten without meds.

cheekycharlie
01-07-09, 15:06
I have never had any meds & to be honest, I beleive that therapy is the way to getting better and I am back to being a 100% better. I don't believe in taking meds to get better to be honest but everyone is different & different things work for different people & its just what works best for you. I don't think I would feel as well as I do with taking meds & not having therapy. Therapy & time has been the key to my cure. x