PDA

View Full Version : Seratonin syndrone??

ElizabethJane
11-03-09, 18:31
I have just come across this. I have tried searching for previous threads on NMP but there dont seem to be any. It would seem that you are in danger of developing this if two SSRIs or older anti depressants are taken together. The release of serotonin into the brain is too great and can cause life threatening symptoms that need urgent medical attention. There seem to be many links on the net about this. I take lithium and prothiaden so I would be a potential candidate? Am I worrying unnecessarily or is there a real risk of me developing this.

CJH86
11-03-09, 19:32
Hi, if two SSRI's are taken together or an SSRI AND something like St Johns wort/5-HT are taken together....it is possible to develop this 'seratonin syndrome', although it is less common when combining the herbal meds and an SSRI its still a risk not worth taking. This is because they all of the above can increase seratonin concentrations in the brain when taken together - giving an additive effect.

In your case - Prothiaden (dotheipin) is a tricyclic antidepressant, so this doesnt increase the levels of seratonin in the brain as much as an SSRI would, prothiaden works by increasing other neuotransmitters (noradrenaline mainly i think). Also lithium doesnt work in the same way as any of the antidepressents, so it doesnt affect seratonin and i wouldnt really worry about seratonin syndrome x:)