PDA

View Full Version : felt worse after therapy

loulii1
17-12-08, 10:22
hi all was just wonderin if any of u felt worse after ur first therapy session i had myne last nite and felt realy anxious afterwards i know its proply because of bringing up the past and stuff and i also had realy high expectations but im unsure on wat to do for the best now wether to continue or not would be gratefull for any advice pls

samc100
17-12-08, 10:47
Yes - I think you do feel worse. I think it must be a common reaction to it. I did and I know a friend of mine felt like giving up for the first few months of her therapy cos' it hurt so much.

I think you should try to keep going with it and tell your therapist how you felt after the session. I used to ensure I had some 'quietish' time for the following day so I could mentally recover. And I'd write lots in my diary as a release.

Hugs xxxx

jill
17-12-08, 11:24
Hi hun, :D:hugs:

Its only natral to feel worse when dealing and talking about your fears, these are only early days hunny, please be kind to yourself, you are unwell right now and there are things that need to be addressed, talking about our past and are fears ARE dame hard at first, but the more you talk and learn, though your therapy, to deal with these things the better you will feel.

I do think with therapy people go in and may expect to feel a little better, but this is not always the case, it takes alot of dame hard work and lots more time, after all hunny, its likley that its took you a lifetime to get unwell like this, so its going to take time to get better.

Hunny, :hugs: Please continue with your thearpy, therapy takes time to work through all the things that need to be addressed or takes time finding the things that need to be addressed. Panic, anxiety is such a complex thing. I do feel, we all may have the same symptoms, but what brought us to panic, anxiety and whats keeping it there is different for us all. Thearpy can help you understand things more.

YOU TAKE CARE

Let us know how you get on hun :hugs:

Wishing you well:hugs:

LOVE JILLXXX

pooh
17-12-08, 13:41
Hi there this is probably one of the most common repsonses. Keep going

Pooh x

marie1974
17-12-08, 13:52
hiya and yes its very normal to feel this way after therapy, esp your first.

i had 5 months of cbt and felt this quite abit, sometimes i would come out feeling good and positive and other times id feel very drained and upset, but its a good thing and it means we are dealing with everything and moving forward.

keep going with this and dont give up as good will come from this in the end, it did for me. hugs xxx

jellybean43
17-12-08, 14:12
Hi
Yes it is very common. I felt terrible after my first 2 sessions of CBT and really thought of packing it in but after coming on these boards i realised it is very common.
I have just finished CBT for my HA and I am about to have some CBT for general Anxiety in the Spring.
It has most definately helped me---I am NOT the person i was last Xmas--living in fear of everything regarding my health!!!
Keep going---it does work but it is hard having to go right back to your past. I have cried at a lot of the sessions!!!!
x

loulii1
17-12-08, 20:59
hi guys thank u 4 ur replys ther much appreciated im gonna keep with it i think just need to win the lottery to pay for it now lol i think i was just a bit dissapointed because i didnt come out cured lol thanks again tc xxx

Rennie1989
17-12-08, 21:27
When I had my first ever counselling session I felt terrible! I barely went to my next appointment. But I stuck at it.

In the long term therapy and counselling does work. They need to understand your background and underlying courses for what ever you are suffering, so they can work with that to help you recover. At the end my counselling session I felt great and I am a living example that they do have a positive effect.

tulip123
17-12-08, 22:11
Cognitive therapy takes a lot of time and is very hard work. Its about facing up to things instead of running away and so to begin with it is going to be harsh. Its a lot of money too. But its so much more real than drugs and helped me address my issues. In fact I felt so angry after my first sessions with the therapist but over the weeks the edge became softer as I realised I was coming to terms with myself. But I cannot believe anyone can be cured just after one session, like anything in life, one has to put in to get out. It's not the therapists job to cure you but to give you the help to cure yourself.

Tulip123

jill
19-12-08, 01:14
Hi hun, :D:hugs:

Its good to hear your going to stick with the therapy :D:hugs:

please let us know how you get on.

YOU TAKE CARE

LOVE JILLXXX