PDA

View Full Version : Hi

Nechtan
18-07-08, 21:31
Hi all,

I've been lurking for a few weeks now and finally decided to start posting. Previous visits were for some reassurances that I mostly found so from that point of view it's been really worthwhile. Of most use I found the success stories really useful as they did help lift the spirits and I'm sure alot of people know sometimes you just think things are not going to get any better- these prove they can get better.

A quick bit about myself. I'm 36 and have been unemployed for 3 years since being made redundant. I am married and the father of 3 young children. I was at the birth of the first two children but earlier this year could not make it to the birth of my third child despite the hospital being only 15 minutes drive away. That was a very testing time as my wife was rushed into hospital one morning and my worries about her and the baby's health were comforted by the news they were OK I was also told they would not be home until after the birth.

Anyway about my problem. I had one panic attack just over 3 years ago before leaving work and then a massive one after that. Slowly I became a prisoner in the home where I am today. My wife ended up in hospital for 5 weeks and I never visited once.

Aside from the panic attacks I've developed general anxiety in which I feel on the verge of a panic attack constantly. This led to me even having trouble with people in the house- something that still happens. Eventually I had to tell family why I didn't want them visiting.

It's had all sorts of problems and my main concern is that not only am I suffering but my wife and kids are too. I'm no longer a breadwinner and can't even take the kids anywhere. My wife shoulders all the burden which is hard for me to accept- though I do appreciate it.

I'm hopeful things will change. There have been times when they have and it has all been my own doing. All help I have sought has been useless to be honest and I've often felt people can't wait to rid themselves of me by referring me elsewhere. The system as I have found it sucks.

marie1974
18-07-08, 21:49
hiya hun and welcome to nmp, you will get lots of good advice and support here and make new friends too, we r all lovely here and very genuine so keep posting and we will do our best to help u hugs xxx

milly jones
18-07-08, 21:51
hi hunny

a big warm welcome to nmp

i do hope u find us some help

milly xxxxxxxxxxx

Cathy V
18-07-08, 22:01
Hiya and welcome to the lurker :D you are in the right place and with time and support from ppl who understand and feel the same, you will start to get better.

Small steps
Cathy xxx :welcome:

lorac
18-07-08, 22:04
Hi

:welcome: to the site I am sure you will get lots of support and good adivse on here.

Take care

Carol

nomorepanic
18-07-08, 22:12
Hi

:welcome: aboard and lovely to see you here.

Hope we can be of some help

Nibbles
18-07-08, 22:54
Hi Nechtan and :welcome:

You'll get loads of advice and support here while making new friends along the way.

Take care,

Mike :)

Nechtan
18-07-08, 22:56
Thanks to you all for the responses and I'm all snug as a bug in a rug now with the hugs- cheers. :D

I'm sure we've all felt at times no one really understands so it's good to find people who know exactly how you are feeling. More than that though the reassurance and the positivity is what we all need.

all the best

Lilith1980
19-07-08, 00:12
Hi Nechtan

Welcome to NMP :)

Jo xxxxx

Southern_Belle
19-07-08, 13:39
Hi Nechtan,

Welcome to the site. Many here will understand how you are feeling and you will get support.

Take care,

Laura

diane07
19-07-08, 15:29
Aww nechtan,

its an upward struggle but you can get there, i got over my agoraphobia, you just have to believe in yourself.

Welcome to nmp, and there will be lots of help here for you

Best of lucky on your journey to recovery.

Di xx

kellie
20-07-08, 09:58
Hiya :welcome: to nmp its lovely to have you here.
You will get lots of support/advice/reasurance and make some great friends along the way. You will also find there are lots of ppl on here who can relate to what you are going through so keep posting and we will help you as much as we can

take care

kellie.xxxxxxxxx

Lindalou64
20-07-08, 14:05
Hello Nechtan And Welcome To The Site....wish Ya Well........linda

ronski
21-07-08, 12:16
Hi Nechtan

Just to let you know that I have experienced very simular circumstances to yours. The first thing to recognise is that agoraphobia is not a fear of wide open spaces, but a fear of having a panic attack in a public place and having an uncertainty in yourself how other people will feel about you having a funny 20 minutes in their company.

So the clue in treating agoraphobia is treating the panic and not using avoidance as a way of doing that. Easier said than done I know, but with sheer determination and support from your wife it can be accomplished. Withing your mind you have been through the worst that life can throw at you. You need to get your life back and enjoy your family while they are growing up.

My advice is go with the panic do not fight it and go with the flow. Do not think about past anxiety events or future anticipatory anxieties. Your brain has no concept of time so to much thinking will start of the fight anf flight response. Live in the present and you will improve.

Start of small, walk round the garden first, then the street. Find a hobby that will totally distract your thinking and if anxiety thoughts flood in try to ignore them.

This is how I started and it worked within around 2 months. I still have problems being in a car for to long and I have not been on a bus yet but I am determined to win.

I hope you find the above helpfull
Ron

titchjd
21-07-08, 13:54
Hi your situation sounds very similar 2 mine ....Its horrible isnt it .I had a really bad day Friday and thought I was cracking up ......Doctor said I need 2 get out but easier said than done but now kids have broke up 4 6weeks hols I must do something ...my daughter wants 2 go 2 the library over the road and ive sat here all morning stressing about going .....and havnt managed 2 go yet .

I agree with u bout people just referring u from 1 to another I feel like that .
You have a lovely wife who will support you and u have 2 start with small steps dont try and do 2 much 2 soon ....when u start 2 feel anxious just remember they are false feelings that will pass all be it they horrible when happening ...I have arguements with my self saying yes I can do it ...then no I cant do it ....but Im determined 2 win and hopefully get 2 the library xxxxx
take care

weeble40
21-07-08, 15:42
welcome to NMP hope to see you around sometime

Emma xxx