PDA

View Full Version : Not anxiety

cankat
21-03-08, 19:38
Hi everyone,
I know some of you read my post the other day about whether or not I was actually suffering from anxiety and that I was due to see a therapist. Well, I spoke to her over the phone on Monday and we had an hour face-to-face on Thursday. Her professional opinion is that I am not suffering from anxiety at all! :ohmy:

What I described in terms of causes and symptoms, and how I responded to her questions led her to conclude that I suffered a physical/chemical trauma during the endoscopy I had in January (which triggered all my symptoms) and that I am recovering from that. That I am, in effect, convalescing. She was not at all surpirsed when I said that none of the relaxation techniques I'd tried had worked. 'Well no, they won't,' she said, 'That's not what the problem is.':doh:

She says I will get better, I've just got to be prepared for it to take a quite a long time, months possibly. She doesn't think that I need any therapy (and why would she say that unless she meant it? After all, she has now effectively lost me as a paying patient). She said I should keep a record of how I'm feeling and so on, so that I can monitor my progress; that I should really be taking things easy and not just 'carry on as normal' as my GP advised. A little exercise will be a good thing but for now only enough to stop me turning into a couch potato. She even gave me a lift back to the station because she thought I'd done enough for one day!

I've also discovered, via a friend who had it, that my chest and back pain might well be something called costochondritis which does fit my symptoms very well but which unfortunately could last for weeks, months or even become a chronic condition. I'm not helped by the fact that I'm intolerant of NSAIDs which would be the best thing to ease the pain. :weep:

What I have to decide now is whether I go back to the medical profession armed with this knowledge and ask for more tests or treatment for my physical symptoms, or just try and recuperate on my own.

Hope everyone is having a peaceful Easter weekend :hugs:
Cx

lesleyB
22-03-08, 10:58
Hi, I would have a rest and see if that brings any relief, and then go back and ask for more tests.
Good luck and I hope everything turns out ok for you.:hugs:
Lesleyb

chalky
22-03-08, 11:33
Hi Cankat,

It is good to see you being so pro-active in sorting out your health issues.You are settting a great example to the rest of us.
Even if your problems are not anxiety-related,the lessons you learn here will stand you in good stead.
Keep up your excellent work.

:hugs: :hugs: :hugs: :hugs:
Best wishes,
Chalky.

cankat
22-03-08, 14:56
Thanks Lesley, and Chalky you're absolutely right - I have learned invaluable lessons from NMP and you have already seen me through some long dark nights when I thought I was going mad!!!
I certainly won't be abandoning NMP as I think it is a fantastic site - full of people who are helping others or getting the help they need. And it's always interesting to hear how people's journeys turn out. :)
Thanks all,
Cx