PDA

View Full Version : Fear of not being able to breathe

Claire83_
06-06-24, 12:51
Hi all, I've joined in case anyone can help point me in the right direction for help.
On Monday evening I had what appears to have been an anxiety attack (not had one before). My hay fever has been bad and it's been on my chest, making me cough, and now nasal blockage. I have sometimes in the past woken up gasping, like I've forgotten to breathe. I think this (mild sleep apnea maybe) and the shortness of breath lead to me hyperventilating. I got severe pins and needles that went up to my head and even in my eye balls. A triage nurse at a hospital said my blood pressure and blood oxygen level was fine enough that I wasn't an emergency but did no other tests. Instead of waiting 6 hours to be admitted I saw the doctor at my medical centre the next day. She was lovely, said my chest sounded clear and blood oxygen okay. She referred me to Talk Works (NHS online/ phone counselling). Unfortunately again Tuesday and last night came close to another anxiety attack as I spent the whole night not breathing properly. I've developed an irrational fear that I will stop breathing.
What tests can the doctors do? What medication can they prescribe? Something for anxiety to get me asleep but won't cause any issues with my breathing (if I have sleep apnea).
I have just started Kalms and Sleepeaze (not sure if that helped last night).
The most sleep I've had in one go for the past 3 nights has been an hour. Usually it's only 10 -15 mins sleep before gasping awake and then another hour or more before I drop off again.
Is there a free helpline in the UK for at night?for someone to calm me down. I tried Samaritans 4 or 5 times last night but they didn't answer.
My husband says it's all in my head and I just need to stop thinking about it. I can't talk to him.
Thanks
Claire

venusbluejeans
06-06-24, 13:02
Hiya Claire83_ and welcome to NMP :welcome:

Why not take a look at our articles on our home page, they contain a wealth of information and
are a great starting place for your time on the forum.

I hope you find the as site helpful and informative as I have and that you get the help and
support you need here and hope that you meet a few friends along the way :yesyes: