PDA

View Full Version : Dentist anxiety. Worried about local anesthesia needle and epinephrine.

anxious_thoughts
03-06-24, 19:09
Hey everyone,
It's been about 7 years since I've last been to the dentist. After I was too old for my father's health insurance and the fact that it's very expensive, I had to stop going. Then COVID happened and it worsened my anxiety, I was diagnosed with agoraphobia, but luckily things have been better since.
I've had this grey spot on my tooth for the last 2-3 years now, and some pain that comes and goes, although no pain when chewing. A week ago today I was using my flossing waterpik and I noticed lots of pressure in that tooth with the grey spot. The pain was almost unbearable for two days and has gradually lessened as the days go by. There is mainly just on and off sensitivity from heat/cold and some slight throbbing. Last night the pain was TERRIBLE, but thankfully I used some hydrogen peroxide mouth wash and took an Advil and it went away. There is pain in my lower jaw bone, and last week I had pain in the ear on the same side of the tooth (right) but the ear pain has been very on and off.
Tomorrow is my appointment to the dentist and after reading such bad, scary stories on reddit I"m so worried about the local anesthesia and the fact that the needle has epinephrine. I didn't realize that is basically like adrenaline, and if it gets into your veins it can cause bad panic attack symptoms. I really don't think I want to deal with that.
So the needle has gotten me very worked up as I know my tooth probably has a deep cavity and it will need to get fixed. Let me add in that prior to my knowledge on the adrenaline in the local anesthesia needle I never was nervous or worried about it. I always had cavities growing up and never had a side effect to it. But after finding that information out I am now terrified and I keep crying thinking about tomorrow.

nomorepanic
04-06-24, 18:16
I always ask for the adrenaline free anesthetic and the dentist is happy to use that.

anxious_thoughts
04-06-24, 21:17
Hi Nicola,

Oh really?! I was unsure if most dentists even carry it. I’m going to make sure I ask. My appointment is 2 hours away.

nomorepanic
04-06-24, 21:47
Yup they should have both. Just ask for it. Good luck

smogie
06-06-24, 21:05
Hope you got on ok my dentist uses the adrenaline free one much gentler xx