PDA

View Full Version : Shooting on my street

BlueIris
13-08-21, 16:48
Last night, around 1am, somebody was shot at the end of my road. I heard it, but Mr. Iris and I convinced ourselves it was fireworks even though I kind of knew it wasn't.

I heard somebody being shot.

Not sure how I feel, other than shaky and really, really not good.

Catkins
13-08-21, 16:55
Oh no, that's awful. I think it would completely throw me.

Do everything you normally do to calm and reassure yourself, don't look for answers, you've had a hell of a shock and it'll probably take a while for it to sink in.

Lucinda07
13-08-21, 18:03
You believe you heard a gun fire, but did you HEAR human voices? Have there been similar incidents before in your community?
It would seem particularly scary after the incident in Plymouth!

BlueIris
13-08-21, 18:16
Lucinda, yes, and yes. There were several hundred people in the little car park opposite us, it was going on from about 9pm and I was woken up by the sound of explosions at 1am. Our road was cordoned off for most of the day.

We live in a very rough area, there's been gunfire before and at least one fatal stabbing.

Lucinda07
13-08-21, 18:31
It sounds frightening! So many people congregating in the carpark until the early hours!
Well, you & your husband, & home are safe. (no mention of pets). It is a shock - so try to calm yourself as much as possible & be vigilant in the next few days. Finances permitting, you may wish to plan to move to a quieter area in the future.

Lencoboy
13-08-21, 19:01
If it was a shooting, I hope it was purely coincidental and not a 'copycat' of Plymouth.

I feel for you and your OH, BlueIris.

Do you live in, or in close proximity to a major city, if you don't mind me asking?

BlueIris
13-08-21, 19:12
Please don't worry about this, Lenco, I live on a particularly rough estate on the outskirts of a large city. This sort of thing happens here from time to time.

Lencoboy
13-08-21, 19:24
Please don't worry about this, Lenco, I live on a particularly rough estate on the outskirts of a large city. This sort of thing happens here from time to time.

Obviously to be expected in pretty much all big cities every now and then, especially the 'rougher' and more deprived parts.

Glad you and your OH are both OK though.

On the other hand, I bet you're glad the national media haven't made a big issue of it in the same way as last night's Plymouth shooting, and of course virtually every stabbing that occurs within the Gtr London area these days.

fishman65
13-08-21, 21:33
I'm really sorry to hear this Blue Iris. That must be very anxiety inducing to hear that when its relatively close to you.

Lenco, I'm afraid the media are likely to report indiscriminate shootings like those in Plymouth, I personally find them quite chilling in the way a certain personality type can explode into such terrible violence. Fortunately they are still rare in the UK.

MyNameIsTerry
14-08-21, 06:39
Stay safe both of you. Living in such a rough area must be very stressful. I hope you find a way out of there to somewhere more peaceful. Living watching your back is hard for anyone let alone with anxiety issues.

Lencoboy
14-08-21, 07:41
I'm really sorry to hear this Blue Iris. That must be very anxiety inducing to hear that when its relatively close to you.

Lenco, I'm afraid the media are likely to report indiscriminate shootings like those in Plymouth, I personally find them quite chilling in the way a certain personality type can explode into such terrible violence. Fortunately they are still rare in the UK.

Yes, you're right such events are still incredibly rare in this country, especially as unlike many others, guns aren't readily able to be purchased legally by the general public, plus we generally don't have the 'right to bear arms', unlike other countries around the world.

Hopefully what happened in BlueIris's street was just an isolated incident, a 'one-on-one' attack, a coincidence and not influenced in any way by the events in Plymouth.

I bet there will be another national firearms amnesty over the coming days/weeks, which almost always tends to happen after a tragedy like Plymouth, Cumbria, Dunblane, Hungerford, etc, which I would be very much in favour of.

BTW, BlueIris, I'm really sorry I've hijacked your thread. I feel like I'm becoming as paranoid as Phil about nearly everything just lately!

Scass
14-08-21, 08:05
How awful for those involved, and to be affected in any way.
Glad you’re all ok x

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

pulisa
14-08-21, 08:23
Yes, you're right such events are still incredibly rare in this country, especially as unlike many others, guns aren't readily able to be purchased legally by the general public, plus we generally don't have the 'right to bear arms', unlike other countries around the world.

Hopefully what happened in BlueIris's street was just an isolated incident, a 'one-on-one' attack, a coincidence and not influenced in any way by the events in Plymouth.

I bet there will be another national firearms amnesty over the coming days/weeks, which almost always tends to happen after a tragedy like Plymouth, Cumbria, Dunblane, Hungerford, etc, which I would be very much in favour of.

BTW, BlueIris, I'm really sorry I've hijacked your thread. I feel like I'm becoming as paranoid as Phil about nearly everything just lately!

Maybe now that the media focus is off from wall-to-wall covid reporting/statistics you are finding more time to ruminate on your riot fears, Lenco? That plus the time of the year and the Plymouth incident? Hungerford is also coming up as you well know. The UK can seem like an unpredictable and frightening place to live in but normal life goes on and you are safe.

BI, I hope you feel a bit more settled now..It must have been a very disturbing experience. I live in what is always portrayed as leafy Surrey but we've had 2 murders literally round the corner from our house.

Lencoboy
14-08-21, 09:06
Maybe now that the media focus is off from wall-to-wall covid reporting/statistics you are finding more time to ruminate on your riot fears, Lenco? That plus the time of the year and the Plymouth incident? Hungerford is also coming up as you well know. The UK can seem like an unpredictable and frightening place to live in but normal life goes on and you are safe.

BI, I hope you feel a bit more settled now..It must have been a very disturbing experience. I live in what is always portrayed as leafy Surrey but we've had 2 murders literally round the corner from our house.

Murders (occasionally even fatal stabbings) have been known to occur over the years in Tamworth, Lichfield, Burton, and other parts of Staffs, but unlike London and other major cities, have rarely ever made the national news headlines.

In some respects I'm glad that such events in my county have mostly been kept low-key by the national media, especially in view of certain individuals who gleefully revel in 'town-bashing', and referring to specific places as 'chav' towns, plus coming out with highly provocative and disparaging nicknames like 'Gunchester', 'Shottingham', 'Stab City', etc, whilst on the other hand it seems such ghastly crimes that occur in 'lesser' towns by comparison often pass the media by compared to when they happen in the big cities.

Lencoboy
14-08-21, 09:20
Murders (occasionally even fatal stabbings) have been known to occur over the years in Tamworth, Lichfield, Burton, and other parts of Staffs, but unlike London and other major cities, have rarely ever made the national news headlines.

In some respects I'm glad that such events in my county have mostly been kept low-key by the national media, especially in view of certain individuals who gleefully revel in 'town-bashing', and referring to specific places as 'chav' towns, plus coming out with highly provocative and disparaging nicknames like 'Gunchester', 'Shottingham', 'Stab City', etc, whilst on the other hand it seems such ghastly crimes that occur in 'lesser' towns by comparison often pass the media by compared to when they happen in the big cities.

But on the plus side, gun crime for the most part, still remains relatively rare in this country, unlike certain others where unfortunately it's pretty much the norm. Hence why fatalities involving guns in this country are almost always big national news headlines when such events happen here.

Also, like you said, Pulisa, with the media now generally being less focused on all things Covid than previously, many of our pre-existing 'moral panics' suddenly appear to be rapidly seeping out of the woodwork once again.

BlueIris
14-08-21, 09:26
Lenco, please don't apologise; I know this stuff is frightening to you and I'm sorry if it bothered you.

More news has emerged, apparently it was a drive-by shooting but thankfully, nobody was injured. Pretty sure it was nothing to do with the Plymouth incident, it's just that we have at least one major crime family on our streets, plus the local shops have been a centre for gang activity.

I had another bad night last night, but I'm not afraid so much as I'm sad for the young people involved.

Lencoboy
14-08-21, 09:29
Lenco, please don't apologise; I know this stuff is frightening to you and I'm sorry if it bothered you.

More news has emerged, apparently it was a drive-by shooting but thankfully, nobody was injured. Pretty sure it was nothing to do with the Plymouth incident, it's just that we have at least one major crime family on our streets, plus the local shops have been a centre for gang activity.

I had another bad night last night, but I'm not afraid so much as I'm sad for the young people involved.

That's reassuring to know, BlueIris, and whilst still horrible and scary, technically a walk in the park compared to the Plymouth incident.

BlueIris
14-08-21, 10:07
Oh, absolutely, there's not the random element and that's quite reassuring.

fishman65
14-08-21, 14:36
Even here in rural East Northamptonshire we've had fatal stabbings recently. Though seemingly connected with drugs/organised crime. So unless you're a pusher/user you most likely won't be a target. But its the random nature of the Plymouth atrocity that really scares me. But then was it really random? The warning signs were all there but apparently not given sufficient attention by the police.

fishman65
14-08-21, 14:37
Oh, absolutely, there's not the random element and that's quite reassuring.oops I've kind of repeated what you just said Blue Iris :blush:

Lencoboy
14-08-21, 15:51
Even here in rural East Northamptonshire we've had fatal stabbings recently. Though seemingly connected with drugs/organised crime. So unless you're a pusher/user you most likely won't be a target. But its the random nature of the Plymouth atrocity that really scares me. But then was it really random? The warning signs were all there but apparently not given sufficient attention by the police.

What I find really strange is that the police confiscated that guy's gun and revoked his firearms licence last year, on the basis that he was suspected of MH issues and odd behaviours on social media, but they for some reason decided to hand him back his gun and firearms licence in July.

Sounds like an almighty screw-up by Devon and Cornwall Police, or they were either caught napping, got complacent, or part of some kind of dubious 'deal'/hidden agenda as he was reportedly known to them already.

Shame on them!

Just as ludicrous as that Jihadist lunatic being prematurely released from jail and then going on that (terror-related) stabbing rampage in Streatham, London in early February last year.

The laws in this country can be a real joke at times, as if they actually side with 'real' criminals and gangsters but woe betide ethnic minorities and persons with learning disabilities over seemingly trivial things!

pulisa
14-08-21, 18:08
Not just the police at fault though. The family had alerted local MH services in the days leading up to the incident. Wouldn't surprise me if they suggested mindfulness and CBT and a brisk walk around the block..

Lack of communication between the Police and the LD/MH team/ failure to take his family seriously/ short staffed MH services..

The mother paid for all this with her life.

Lencoboy
14-08-21, 20:27
Not just the police at fault though. The family had alerted local MH services in the days leading up to the incident. Wouldn't surprise me if they suggested mindfulness and CBT and a brisk walk around the block..

Lack of communication between the Police and the LD/MH team/ failure to take his family seriously/ short staffed MH services..

The mother paid for all this with her life.

But the police did hand him back his gun and firearms licence, which was a massive mistake, and indeed a liability on their behalf.

Will the powers that be in this country learn from this tragic incident? I very much doubt it, as all they will probably care about is balancing the books in the wake of this pandemic!

It's as if society at large has now simply stopped caring about such things with the 'I'm alright Jack' kind of attitude!

BlueIris
14-08-21, 21:11
Okay, excusing myself from this one now; I was trying to work through my emotions but I don't think this is the place any more.

Lencoboy
14-08-21, 21:37
Okay, excusing myself from this one now; I was trying to work through my emotions but I don't think this is the place any more.

Sorry, BlueIris.

I won't be posting on this thread any longer as I feel as though I've well and truly hijacked it, which I did own up to earlier.

In fact, I won't even be mentioning the Plymouth incident anymore on this forum period after tonight.

I think I shall take a break from here for a couple of days.

Fishmanpa
15-08-21, 02:07
I think I shall take a break from here for a couple of days.

A good idea. Your anxiety focuses on improbable possibilities and the past as well as current statistics and impossible statistics to predict. It would be mentally healthy to take a break from obsessing over these stats and just letting things happen. There's nothing you can do to change it but you do have control over how you react to the inevitable changes that will happen as we move forward. I hope you're able to control your compulsions to post statistics and past events and find some peace.

FMP

glassgirlw
15-08-21, 02:50

Im so sorry you had to go through this BI. This is a really traumatic experience to go through. I’ve been there myself, in high school right before prom there was a fight on the football field and someone pulled a gun. Two people were shot. One injured and the other killed. I graduated in 1997 and I still remember that night. The kids name that died was Wilson - nice kid but ran with a rougher crowd. It’s not something you really ever “get over”, and it can be hard to process. Feel free to PM if you want to chat outside the open forum space. I understand what you’re going through. :hugs:

BlueIris
15-08-21, 06:10
Thank you, Glassgirl, I'll drop you a line once I'm out of bed.

I'm so sorry you had to go through something like that; I've been lucky and never witnessed that sort of horror and I can't imagine what it must do to you.

I get that the world's a scary place right now, but there's a difference between worrying about the state of the world in general (we have a ton of threads about that) and the very specific fear when you hear gunfire outside your window or find out that somebody was raped or stabbed to death two minutes away from your doorstep. All of these have happened to me relatively recently, and while I've learned not to think about it I have to make an effort.

I'm a bit hurt that this turned into another general rant thread. Thanks for looking out for me, and I'll message you in a bit.

MyNameIsTerry
15-08-21, 06:21
Reclaim your thread if you need it, Blue. Everyone will understand and you're right to point it out. It's a topic that's open to slipping into comparisons across society and I'm sure it's not intentional to be detrimental to you.

It's also very hard to suggest what to do. I guess all you can do is get a good hug off Mr Iris and look to what you know helps you through the triggers and tougher times. I guess its also a matter of just getting on with life so as to let normality return.

BlueIris
15-08-21, 10:52
Thanks, Terry. I'm a bit rattled right now, as the new academic year starts for me tomorrow, I'm in a new office and I'll have a lot on, so it's a bit harder than normal for me to just deal with stuff like I usually do.

It's getting towards fireworks season, too (it starts early here). I can just about enjoy them in organised displays, but from September to February we have kids throwing them in the streets. Last year one hit the door and we still have a burn mark. I find it very hard to be outdoors after dark during these months.

Would love to move, but there won't be such affordable rent anywhere else. I try so hard not to be resentful of the neighbours, but I never imagined I'd land up living somewhere like this, where these horrible crimes happen and where I got passively teargassed at work.

And the worst bit? I'm not even particularly shocked by any of it any more.

Catkins
15-08-21, 11:29
It's so difficult BI. Are you in a council property? Just thinking if you were you could see about a swap? If not you could maybe get on the list? Or look into housing associations in your area?

It's awful living in a place where not very nice things happen around you.