PDA

View Full Version : Borderline D-dimer and possible DVT?

Sarita94
14-04-20, 17:26
Hi everyone, although I've had health anxiety in the past it has been pretty dormant for a while so looking for some reassurance or possibly advice here.

Basically, I can back from holiday about a month ago and a few days later my legs swelled. In particular, my left leg felt swollen, hard and tight. I had been exercising in relatively warm weather so put it down to that or a pulled muscle. However, although the swelling went down, a tight, crampy feeling persisted in my left leg. I googled it, bad idea, and that type of crampy pain came up as symptomatic of a DVT. Because I had recently flown and my Dad suffered a DVT a few years ago, I went to a walk in centre and the doctor barely looked at it because I'm still considered 'low risk' (only 25) and said I'd know if I had a blood clot (not entirely convinced by this as 50% of DVTs are asymptomatic).

Anyway, I couldn't get it off my mind, so I payed privately for a D-dimer test. The result came back at 490, my doctor said 'normal but at the high end (500 is the cut off point) go to A&E if it gets worse or you begin to have breathing difficulties'. Needless to say, this didn't reassure me and now I am constantly checking my leg and looking out for any signs of it progressing to a pulmonary embolism!

I wouldn't say the pain is worse, but it does feel like it is now radiating to my knee. I'm currently trying to get a GPs appointment to followup on this- wanted to know if people thought this sounded a sensible approach?

Thanks 😊

NotDeadYet
14-04-20, 19:55
Sarita94

So sorry you're experiencing this anxiety. You have three very positive things going for you right now that you need to hold on to as reality.

1) The doctor wasn't concerned upon inspection and review. Remember, he is a medically trained professional. He probably sees DVTs all the time and knows what to look for. Trust him.
2) 490 is normal. Just because it's the high end doesn't mean something is wrong. Normal is normal.
3) It's been a month and you haven't noticed a significant change, but how could you even if you are checking it constantly. A doctor once told me that constantly checking my body will create a new normal shoudl anything change. You need to forget about it for a few day (easier said than done) and then come back to it and see if things have changed.

If you're still concerned about it, then yes, making another appointment is sensible. If the doctor at your next appointment says nothing is wrong then it would insensible to keep worrying after that.

Best Wishes.

Sarita94
15-04-20, 10:19
Thank you very much for taking the time to reply!