PDA

View Full Version : Asbestos or just plaster board? Scared and worried

BigOldDrive
30-03-20, 18:38
The fire alarm was attached to a block of wood and glued to the ceiling someones bodge job before i moved in and it was bugging me.

So i ripped it down and all of this stuff came with it and has left an orange mark on the ceiling. Was hoping it would just take the paint with it and i could paint it over and drill it back into the ceiling

I am guessing it is just plaster board? My anxiety has gone through the roof thinking i have just exposed myself to asbestos.. https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/resources/emoji/frowning.png

I have very little experience with DIY and maybe this is laughable that i am even worried?

nomorepanic
30-03-20, 18:41
That is not asbestos.

BigOldDrive
30-03-20, 18:53
That is not asbestos.

Thanks for getting back to me so quick.

Any idea what it is?

nomorepanic
30-03-20, 19:03
cement and plaster

BigOldDrive
01-04-20, 00:07
Could it be possible this used to be artex underneath and they have skimmed plaster on the top? If so i have breathed in asbestos?! :(

nomorepanic
01-04-20, 00:19
It really can't harm you. You have to be exposed to it for years and years not just 5 minutes.

Move on from this one now as there is nothing to worry about.

KK77
01-04-20, 00:24
That looks like modern plasterboard and adhesive/plaster.

Your anxiety is in overdrive - there really is nothing of concern here.

BigOldDrive
01-04-20, 00:29
It really can't harm you. You have to be exposed to it for years and years not just 5 minutes.

Move on from this one now as there is nothing to worry about.

Trying to get it out of my head so i can go to sleep, thanks for assurance hopefully my brain will shut up soon :/

Think i have read too many articles which say one fibre can kill you, is this over blown?

BigOldDrive
01-04-20, 00:29
That looks like modern plasterboard and adhesive/plaster.

Your anxiety is in overdrive - there really is nothing of concern here.

What is adhesive plaster is that the yellow / orange mark which is left on the ceiling?

nomorepanic
01-04-20, 00:34
One fibre? No way - where on earth did you read that?

KK77
01-04-20, 00:40
The white paste on the piece you pulled off is adhesive. The brown is just the outer layer on the plasterboard which has peeled off.

But all you need to focus on is that there is nothing to worry about apart from your anxiety :winks: