PDA

View Full Version : Painful sore throat

peter34uk
05-01-20, 22:12
Hi,

I have had flu this past 10 days. Im pretty much over it bar lack of energy but Ive had a painful sore throat since the beginning and I still have it. Now I have had a chesty cough which starting to go away, but im worried that my throat is red and still painful to swallow.

Is it unusual to have it this long or fairly common? I suppose the chesty cough hasn't helped.

Appreciate any thoughts

nomorepanic
05-01-20, 22:20
We have loads of posts about this at the moment and people fearing lung cancer and throat cancer but it is unfounded.

Have a search for the posts and get well soon.

Carys
05-01-20, 22:33
Well, funny you should bring this up....I started with flu (not a cold), and only my second bout in my life, about 4 days before Christmas. After 9 days I oddly still had a sore throat and I commented on it to people as this wasn't something I had experienced before. Usually with any cold virus I have the sore throat lasting a few days at the beginning and subsiding, this time is just seemed to stay. WIth my other flu virus the sore throat also didn't last this long. I will say I could kind of feel it marginally shifting position from day to day - different parts of the throat - but it was still really hard to swallow for much longer than I'd had before. I am still coughing badly, but energy now returning. I don't know if it's 'normal', but I would say that the general advice is that if you feel its not getting a little bit better every day then after 10 days, if it feels as bad as it ever did, you should go get someone to take a peek at your throat to see if there is a different type of non-viral infection. I didn't go see anybody as I did then start to feel an improvement, and I would have to be dragged to a doctor lol

peter34uk
05-01-20, 23:11
Thank you. Just does seem wierd to have it longer than 10 days.

I did do a search on here and didnt find much, so if i could be pointed to some posts that be great

nomorepanic
05-01-20, 23:17
I don't have time to find them for you but what did you search for?