PDA

View Full Version : Have I caught HIV from scissors?

JaneS
02-06-18, 08:01
I recently went to have my eyebrows waxed at a beauty salon and after she had waxed and tweezered them the beautician then trimmed my eyebrows with scissors. I’ve never had this done before and although the scissors were kept in the barbicide along with the tweezers etc. I had a bit of a panic about how well the scissors could be disinfected if they were not open in the barbicide. If they are closed how can the tips be clean? This led me to thinking that I may have caught HIV from them even though I don’t think she ever cut, nipped, broke or stabbed my skin in any way and I don’t think I had any cuts. Please help as I’m really worried now.

Andrash
02-06-18, 08:03
I recently went to have my eyebrows waxed at a beauty salon and after she had waxed and tweezered them the beautician then trimmed my eyebrows with scissors. I’ve never had this done before and although the scissors were kept in the barbicide along with the tweezers etc. I had a bit of a panic about how well the scissors could be disinfected if they were not open in the barbicide. If they are closed how can the tips be clean? This led me to thinking that I may have caught HIV from them even though I don’t think she ever cut, nipped, broke or stabbed my skin in any way and I don’t think I had any cuts. Please help as I’m really worried now.

No, you haven't. It is absolutely impossible to catch HIV that way.

JaneS
02-06-18, 09:11
Thanks for your reply. It is so difficult to get the ‘what if’ thoughts out of my head, they just go round and round and I’m scared about ever having any treatments at a beauty salon ever again for fear of contracting HIV or some other disease. Just seem to have an obsession with contamination at the moment.

Bigboyuk
02-06-18, 09:36
No it's '0' % chance as the virus is actually quite fragile and will die very quickly. How long have you had HA for? Certainly change eating/habits, but most importantly tell your dr about your HA/OCD issues both are treatable too :) ATB

Andrash
02-06-18, 09:49
Thanks for your reply. It is so difficult to get the ‘what if’ thoughts out of my head, they just go round and round and I’m scared about ever having any treatments at a beauty salon ever again for fear of contracting HIV or some other disease. Just seem to have an obsession with contamination at the moment.

I know, but there is no what if in this case, because there is literally no chance :)

JaneS
02-06-18, 10:17
Thanks to you both. I’ve suffered with HA for a long time and am seeing a CBT therapist at the moment. I’ve had a bout of sessions on NHS and was doing well but had a major relapse so paying privately now. I am really fed up with it ruling my life and desperately want to get back living a ‘normal’ life, I haven’t always felt like this and I think my mother’s death was a major trigger. A while ago a trip to the beauticians would have been pleasurable not an anxiety-inducing event!

I should add that my NHS sessions finished as I had had my quota, not that there was a problem with the therapy or therapist.

I do try to eat well and have a good diet bigboy, will that help with the anxiety?

paranoid-viking
02-06-18, 11:12

Look at this:
http://www.tht.org.uk/sexual-health/About-HIV/How-HIV-is-transmitted/Ways-HIV-is-not-transmitted

What are you doing to treat your health anxiety?

---------- Post added at 12:12 ---------- Previous post was at 12:10 ----------

Because you have an irrational health anxiety where established scientifical facts wont do much better. I see tons of posts here from other posters who still dont get the fact that HIV/AIDS is an STD and not something you stumble upon by accident. Not a single person on the entire planet has ever stumbled upon HIV by accident.

Bigboyuk
02-06-18, 11:25
Thanks to you both. I’ve suffered with HA for a long time and am seeing a CBT therapist at the moment. I’ve had a bout of sessions on NHS and was doing well but had a major relapse so paying privately now. I am really fed up with it ruling my life and desperately want to get back living a ‘normal’ life, I haven’t always felt like this and I think my mother’s death was a major trigger. A while ago a trip to the beauticians would have been pleasurable not an anxiety-inducing event!

I should add that my NHS sessions finished as I had had my quota, not that there was a problem with the therapy or therapist.

I do try to eat well and have a good diet bigboy, will that help with the anxiety? It's my pleasure :) So you were doing well on the NHS Therapy but had a relapse and now you are paying privately why is this? Is it because the NHS therapy was coming to a end hence you went privately? In certain cases NHS therapy can be extended if asked for, glad you are being proactive about getting help. Yes I do believe changing you diet can really help with your anxiety :) ATB

JaneS
03-06-18, 09:06
Yeah I’d had my allocated sessions with the NHS and was doing well but had a relapse and you can’t re-refer for 3 months with the NHS so am going privately. I guess ATB means ‘all the best’ at the end of your message?

Any tips on diet to help anxiety would be good?

Bigboyuk
03-06-18, 10:36
Yeah I’d had my allocated sessions with the NHS and was doing well but had a relapse and you can’t re-refer for 3 months with the NHS so am going privately. I guess ATB means ‘all the best’ at the end of your message?

Any tips on diet to help anxiety would be good?Hi Didn't know that! How ever there are various MH charities that do therapy like Mind for eg. And while you still may have to wait there is none of the waiting to refer your self, Iam glad that you are being proactive about your MH. So good luck on that journey:yesyes: And yes you are correct ATB means that. ATB

JaneS
03-06-18, 10:47
And MH is mental health I guess. I’m not very good at these abbreviations?

Bigboyuk
03-06-18, 10:50
And MH is mental health I guess. I’m not very good at these abbreviations? Yes you are correct on that and you are very good at guessing them correctly :D ATB