PDA

View Full Version : Worried about shaking muscles, please don’t delete :(

Chlobo
07-02-18, 08:49
My muscles in my arms and legs feel shaky, like I have an internal tremor. They feel really strange. I feel like I have to stretch them to get any relief but they still feel the same afterwards. I’m so so scared, please don’t delete this post I really need help :( I’ve been on 40mg on Citalopram the last couple of days could this be a side effect? I’ve increased to 40 from 30. Someone please help before I have a melt down! My neck keeps twitching as well

---------- Post added at 08:49 ---------- Previous post was at 08:45 ----------

I’m really panicking I’m here on my own with my three children and petrified, I keep thinking I have MS or something is badly wrong with me

TheGroundhog
07-02-18, 08:58
Accept that you feel anxious, accept that it isn't going to go away quickly. Make yourself a cup of tea and get down on the floor and do something with your kids. How old are they? What do they like to play best?

jojo2316
07-02-18, 09:00
This is NOTHING to worry about. A side effect of citalopram and anxiety.

ryan0987
07-02-18, 09:03
I had those exact same side effects when I started on citalopram. My muscles felt tight and tingly. Regular stretching really helped.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Chlobo
07-02-18, 09:10
I’ve been on the drug for ages but recently only increased to 40mg, I’ve got to go out and walk places while my muscles feel like this, with my kids. I have no choice but to go out today and I just can’t cope with the idea of walking around like this

jojo2316
07-02-18, 09:31
An increase in dose causes a spike in anxiety symptoms in the short term. Hang in there. It will pass. How old are your children?

Chlobo
07-02-18, 09:39
My kids are 4 years, 2 years and 7 months old. I’ve had a hot shower and that seems to have helped a little. I’m so scared of brain tumors

ryan0987
07-02-18, 09:41
It happened to me when I upped my dosage too. But it went away. Remind yourself that it will pass.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TheGroundhog
07-02-18, 09:45
Well done for having a shower. Baby steps. Just remember you feel anxious and you'll have to take that anxiety with you. Every time you think it could be a brain tumour or MS remind yourself that's it's just a thought, you could think that you will win the lottery, but you wouldn't believe it. No need to believe these thoughts either. Take your anxiety and shakiness and go about your day. Try to have fun with your kids, sing some songs, be silly, it really helps. Fake it till you make it.

jojo2316
07-02-18, 09:50
My kids are 4 years, 2 years and 7 months old. I’ve had a hot shower and that seems to have helped a little. I’m so scared of brain tumors

You don't have a brain tumour. Wow! That is quite full on (3 kids at home)!
What will you do with them today? Is there a toddler group near you?

Elen
07-02-18, 10:02
With respect this is a variation on a number of things you have posted about previously.

Perhaps have a look at this http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/showthread.php?t=213024

Fishmanpa
07-02-18, 10:05
Worried about shaking muscles, please don’t delete :(

Respectfully Cloe, this is just more of the same :shrug: I know your history and I'm just watching you go deeper and deeper into the rabbit hole :weep: Is there anything or anyone in real life that you have access to? You're not going to get better just posting on forums. Again, history is proving that.

Positive thoughts

axolotl
07-02-18, 11:13
Chloe, I know you're on the waiting list for therapy. That can be a long time, I know that from experience. Hang in there.

As you've probably seen there's a bit of soul-searching on this forum about how much we give people continual reassurance about perceived symptoms, not because it's irritating anyone, but because we are scared of making people worse by engraining bad habits that will make things worse for you in the long-run.

In the meantime while you're waiting here are some ideas.

MoodGym (https://moodgym.com.au/) is a great way to learn more about anxiety and recognise cognitive distortions. It may not seem to get to the crux of health anxiety, and it can be hard to find time to do the activities (especially with kids) but it's worth a look to understand the processes going on and recognise the patterns when they occur.

Headspace (https://www.headspace.com) is a daily mindfulness app. It genuinely helps calm down the chatter in your head. It's not cheap, but you get the first fortnight free. Again, finding quiet time to do this may be tricky but it's worth a go if you get chance.

This NHS booklet (https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/hypochondria/Documents/Health%20Anxiety%20A4%20%202010.pdf) about health anxiety is very worthwhile looking through, and doing the exercises in. Again it will help you realise the patterns.

Never, ever, ever Google symptoms, even if it feels "safe" to do so.

One thing I've found useful is listing every fear you've had, and that's come to nothing. Think about how similar those episodes were when you strip out the specifics - that is ignore what the perceived symptom is, and ignore what the presumed illness is. Just see the format of the fear - "I'm scared of X because I have symptom Y", and what behaviours led you there (checking, Googling, reassurance). Then when you put your new fear at the bottom of the list hopefully it looks less like a "new" thing.

I'm sure others have other things that have worked form them to fill the gap between now and getting more professional advice.

Good luck.

Carys
07-02-18, 11:35
Great post axolotl, really helpful AND that NHS leaflet is really useful. I think I'll post that for other people to help them.

MyNameIsTerry
07-02-18, 13:13
It can be adrenaline. The dose increase is the likely culprit so either a direct side effect or an indirect one as the result of increasing your anxiety.

With your themes in HA it quite neatly fits to your body scanning and resulting obsession over symptoms that appear to match to your fears.

It's been one of my anxiety symptoms from the start but as you get better it becomes a background symptom. If you get up and walk around, you stop feeling it. Stretching does too.

Anything new popping up when you change meds or dosage, put it down to the med.