PDA

View Full Version : Freaking out completely about meningitis

Duchesskitty
22-11-17, 15:01
I am having a complete freak out and need someone to help talk some sense to me.
So one of my biggest fears is meningitis and I have just found out that someone who lives near me is in hospital with suspected meningitis. I’ve had a headache for days with tight trap pain which I am sure is tension as my anxiety is sky high at the moment. I even saw a gp yesterday about it who was shocked by how tense I am!
Basically I am petrified that I will catch it and die. I can see her house from mine and I know it’s unlikely but I keep thinking about wheee she might have been in town etc. I am losing the plot a bit over this but I also feel guilty for thinking so selfishly as she has small kids and we live in a small community. She’s a friend of a friend and someone I say hi to if u see her in the street.
Please help me rationalise this someone. I am not currently on medication even though the doctor keeps pushing me towards citalopram and I can’t currently access nhs anxiety therapy in my area as I am not unwell enough for the cmht but have to wait for DAS (iapt).

Haced
22-11-17, 15:36
You're gonna be fine. While meningitis isn't as, say, "lethal" as many other fears on this board, one man's starvation doesn't really negate the hunger of another.

I can assure you that if you DO catch it, which I can assure you 99% you wont -- you'll be fine. Meningitis, even the bacterial version, is very easily treatable!

Fishmanpa
22-11-17, 15:39
I am losing the plot a bit over this

Ya think? There are a landslide of logical reasons you're not even close to being at risk. Hope you feel better soon.

Positive thoughts

Duchesskitty
23-11-17, 00:19
Thanks for the replies. I know deep down I’m being ott and irrational but when you get stuck in that anxious space, it’s hard to rationalise!