PDA

View Full Version : Mental Noise / over thinking

Runfromclarity
12-08-17, 22:52
Hi everyone

I'm really struggling at the moment with constant rumination and over thinking. This will typically be about scenarios that may never arrise however I will think them over constantly and, well, it is exhausting.

I have always had anxiety however things lately seem to be getting pretty tough in my mind and I don't know what to do. I have never been on medication however my therapist who I have just started seeing has said it might be a good idea just to get my head above board and thinking clearly to start making progress. However I'm not so sure, the idea of taking meds terrifies me that it would change me as a person and I'm the one that wants to be in control of me.

Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

braindead
13-08-17, 09:00
Hi everyone

I'm really struggling at the moment with constant rumination and over thinking. This will typically be about scenarios that may never arrise however I will think them over constantly and, well, it is exhausting.

I have always had anxiety however things lately seem to be getting pretty tough in my mind and I don't know what to do. I have never been on medication however my therapist who I have just started seeing has said it might be a good idea just to get my head above board and thinking clearly to start making progress. However I'm not so sure, the idea of taking meds terrifies me that it would change me as a person and I'm the one that wants to be in control of me.

Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated

Your therapist says you need meds, i say you need meds , but you are scared so we cannot help you , you say you dont want to change has a person but youir not the person you want to be now

pulisa
13-08-17, 09:01
Medication certainly isn't compulsory with anxiety although therapists will often suggest that it's a good idea to start taking it to complement therapy. My advice would be to see how you get on with your therapist before making any decisions re meds and to see whether talking about your rumination issues brings you any respite from your exhausting thought processes.

Jools33
13-08-17, 12:56
I know exactly what you mean by "over thinking" I am in the same position to a certain extent. I have a mobility problem due to a partial blocked artery. I am going to need stent job done but delays in the NHS are terrible. It plays heavily on my mind both the delay & the procedure. I have been on meds before, twice actally, prior to this time & they worked. I went on meds this time around 4+ weeks ago & had some awful side effects which of course give you even more things to worry about. (see my other posts). I am now a little more stable as my GP changed things last week. Eating & losing weight was 1 problem as was sleeping. Thankfully both these have improved the sleeping down to a 15mg dose of mirtazipan before bed. I was doing 7.5mg Zopiclone previously but would only get around 4 hours now it's nearer to 8. The original problem is still there but the meds are helping me to find a better place. Do not be frightened to use meds if your GP is that way inclined. It would be a matter of finding the correct ones for you. You will see some "horror" stories on here but also success stories. Just remember that everyone is different & reacts differently to meds. What may suit one may not another. Good luck.

binashubby
13-08-17, 19:21
You suffer from what I put up with. I have had it for years. Eventually got some diazepam from doctor, although I find a trip to the pub and high intensity fitness exercising better than the diazepam.

Runfromclarity
13-08-17, 19:22
You suffer from what I put up with. I have had it for years. Eventually got some diazepam from doctor, although I find a trip to the pub and high intensity fitness exercising better than the diazepam.

Thank you, was the meds a worth while venture for you to stabilize yourself day to day

binashubby
13-08-17, 19:29
I use the diazepam when it's either really bad, or it's a stupid time like 3am when I can't get to fitness class, or sensibly have a pint or two and still get to work !!
Took a 2mg and a 5mg this morning and got an hours relief.