PDA

View Full Version : Heart worries after dental work

nighthaven
08-08-17, 19:02
I had a root canal roughly two weeks ago. Two dental appointments within the span of four days. The first appointment I was injected three times with novocaine and shortly after the shots my hand wouldn't stop shaking. The dentist said something about an ingredient in the shots that makes that happen so I didn't think anything of it. During that first appointment I had my tooth packed with anti-biotics and was sent home to await the second appointment where the true root canal work was done.

A cancellation occurred and I was able to get into the dentist three days later. I was again injected - but only twice this time - but I didn't notice the shaking. However, I have had heart palpatations ever since. I'm also very short-winded and exhausted constantly. I was NOT like this and had none of these problems before these two dental appointments so now I'm very worried that something they did or used has adversely affected my health. My heart hasn't stopped with the palpatations are just as present as they were the day I left after the root canal.

I'm starting to panic that I've now got some sort of coronary heart disease or worse and that my mortal days are numbered. I could seriously use some advice. I do have a doctor's appointment but that's not for another two weeks so in the mean time I guess I'm just left to stress out about it.

Anything helps...I just need some advice or kind words or something to calm my nerves.

RadioGaGa
08-08-17, 19:14
nighthaven

I work in a hospital Pharmacy and the reason you felt like this from the injection is because they contain adrenaline. A very common one we use in the UK is called Xyolcaine (Lidocaine + adrenaline) Lidocaine is a 'sister drug' to Novocaine.

Here's some more information about the drug

https://www.medicines.org.uk/emc/medicine/32915

Don't worry - you're fine

nighthaven
08-08-17, 22:49
Thank you for your reply. I read your article and it did say that what I have is a rare side effect.

I did forget to mention that I am epileptic and take phenytoin every day.

Also, should these palpatations be present two weeks after the procedure was done? I wasn't aware that adrenaline remains in your body for that long without having been metabolized already. How much longer are they going to stick around? Is this a forever thing?

jj1995
09-08-17, 00:41
Look you can get heart palpitations from drinking coffee, eating spicy foods or just simply being anxious..honestly heart palpitations does not mean you have heart disease lol now be done and enjoy your nice teeth :)