PDA

View Full Version : Sudden death

Rmp123
27-02-17, 20:58
Hi guys, so like I'm sure with many of you my anxiety and OCD changes quite a lot, particularly my health anxiety. My latest obsession seems to be with sudden arrhythmic death syndrome. Every time I go to sleep I get scared I won't wake up. Last night I couldn't sleep for ages because I was thinking about death and being buried alive etc! So dark. We don't really know my dad's side of the family so I'm scared I've got loads of conditions I don't know about! I'm only 24 and apart from my mental health everything else seems to be fine. I've had two ECG's before but apparently they're useless. Whenever I go to the doctor's I think they just look at my medical records and think oh it's his anxiety.

Does anyone have any suggestions to help this? I've been trying mindfulness which has helped and I'm starting therapy again soon. I've been having what I think is derealisation quite a lot which has made me feel awful and just down and that I'm going to do within the next few days.

MOchp
27-02-17, 21:36
Hey, I wanted to offer some support. I understand where you are coming from. As a fellow Health Anxiety sufferer I have latched on to numerous things in the past that I was convinced were going to kill me soon. Obviously it is "only our anxiety" and the chances of the things we worry about happening are minuscule but this is hard to accept for us when feeling anxious and obsessing over something. One of my biggest fears, just like many other HA folks, has always been cancer. Watching my father waste away from it and the thought of it being somewhat prevalent in my family history is enough to scare me even when I'm not anxious. I feel that you are on the right path seeking therapy, as we often can not cope with these things on our own and need an outside guidance. In the meantime, I know it's not a permanent or even great solution, but I find doing things to distract myself and keep my mind off any obsessive thoughts helps somewhat. I wish you well.