PDA

View Full Version : Awful insecurity issues about how I look

GirlAfraid23
01-11-15, 20:34
Someone needs to help me.

I'm becoming horrifically insecure about how I look and specifically photos I upload to Facebook and Instagram.

It sounds really pathetic but I've just put a picture up and received one like for it, I thought it was a good photo, obviously no one else does.

I don't know why it means so much to me, but it does.

I feel ugly and unpopular. Especially when I see someone else with 50 likes on their picture or something similar.

emily67
01-11-15, 20:45
if it helps, you're not the only one.

I refuse to post my picture anywhere, for the exact same reason.

I hate my looks, and I hate the idea of others seeing me. I don't even have any photos of when I was a kid- I just can't bear to look at myself.

pulisa
01-11-15, 20:53
Please don't judge yourself on how many "likes" you get for your photo on social media. It is so sad that social media controls the lives and emotions of so many people today and mainly vulnerable young people who live their lives on facebook etc

GirlAfraid23
01-11-15, 20:55
I just feel so ugly :(

Emma1027
01-11-15, 21:21
You are beautiful because it's not just what's on the outside but what's on the inside and beauty is deep within. There will always be someone who sees you as beautiful but it's important that you accept who you are. Yeah we have flaws but it dose not help societies view on what is perfect. Models are far to thin that is unhealthy and curves are sexy. Since when is a size 10 fat and seen as a plus size ?! What a load of crap. Personally I think most models are not attractive and role models should be positive to kids since kids and teenagers look up to these people. Even if someone's truly beautiful does her/his personality match because they could be nasty which then leaves them ugly anyway. Maybe they can't put two words together or sent that ideal after all. Everyone has faults, nobody's perfect. It's taken me ages to accept how I look and even know I lack confidence.

ray.olsen
09-11-15, 09:12
Hello

It's pretty normal for us to feel insecurities and envy others. Especially when we are diagnosed with many comorbid disorders. So don't be too hard on yourself. Have you told this to your clinician? maybe you can start tackling this jealousy and insecurity thing on your CBT sessions.

Don't base beauty on the number of likes a picture gets. I once gotten 200 likes on a wacky pose. People on social media will like anything they see. So don't overthink about your facebook and instagram uploads.

Are the photos the only things you are concerned with or is there any specific part of your body or face that you don't feel good with? It's essential that you start changing your perception regarding this situation. Consult this with your clinician, it's important that you don't develop body dysmorphic disorder.

red_willlow
09-11-15, 09:29
The problem lies with society. Don't concentrate on how you look, its so much more important to be a decent person! I know how you feel though I have very low self esteem, but I try my hardest to conquer it by being me and not to let other narrow minded people keep me down :)

theharvestmouse
09-11-15, 22:08
There is one simple solution to this, delete your social media accounts. I deleted myself from facebook 6 years ago and it took all those feelings away. It's such a waste of time and I don't care about what other people are doing.