PDA

View Full Version : VCJD worry again

skygreen_leopard
25-09-15, 13:06
So I'm back to this again, and it's destroying my life. Everytime I get pains in my legs my health anxiety about VCJD comes floooding back. I have read way too much about this illness and have scared the hell out of myself, and know every symptom or possible warning that it's happening.

There was a story about a man my age last year who had acquired the disease and he was from Cardiff (close to where I live) and that has just reinforced my fears that I will be next.

My family just get annoyed because they say I am being irrational, but with the initial symptoms being anxiety and depression it just really freaks me out.

I don't know what to do anymore.

Lifelonganxiety!
25-09-15, 17:14
Hey,

VCJD is EXTREMELY rare. Your chances of getting it are essentially zero. They're basically a million to one. Here's some things that are more likely to happen, but you probably don't think ever would ;)

Odds of dating a supermodel: 88,000 to 1
Odds of winning an Academy Award: 11,500 to 1
Odds of winning an Olympic medal: 662,000 to 1

As for someone in Cardiff getting it, a quick search of Cardiff's population should show you that 342,799 people did NOT get VCJD. Why concentrate on the one person that did?

Anxiety is much more likely to cause any symptom you might feel, and it's a downward spiral that feeds into itself. Go out and grab a beer or something, you don't have VCJD.

skygreen_leopard
26-09-15, 17:12
Thanks for the support. I think somewhere I know that my body is telling me bullshit, but I can't really shake it because I'm getting weird sensations and they leave me really freaked out.