PDA

View Full Version : Stopping palpitations due to gas in the stomach

tommeasor
31-05-15, 12:09
For the last 30 years I've suffered occasional palpitations that are caused by gas in my stomach. When it first happened I panicked and thought I was going to die, so I went to the A&E. Now with my pulse rate at about 185 beats per minute they put me on a ECG machine but everything checked out OK with regards to my heart. They then give me some stomach medicine which eventually stopped the palpitation. Anyway, to cut a long story short, I did some research and now believe I know what is going on to cause the palpitations. What I think it is, is to do with gas and a sliding hiatus hernia. What happens is that gas creates a hiatus in my thoracic cavity which stimulates the Vegas nerve, triggering rapid heartbeat. How it starts is that I get a sort of fluttering in my stomach and my heart seems to stop which makes me feel dizzy, but if I relax and hold my breath, it sometimes passes, but if it doesn't, I then get the palpitations and a feeling of being winded in my upper stomach. It really takes it out of me and in the past if it didn't stop after a couple of hours I'd make my way to the A&E. Then I found out a way of stopping it myself. What I do is to lay on a bed on a upright position. I then start to relax which brings my pulse down to about 105. After a while of relaxing I hopefully burp the gas out, and when I think I have got rid of most of it i do one last thing. What I do is to take a very deep breath, hold it in for a couple of seconds and then very slowly release it, making sure my stomach rises in doing so. Then what happens is my heart seems to stop and goes back into normal sinus rhythm, but if I still have gas, it will immediately go back in to palpitation, so I just keep doing it until it works, which it always as done so far. I feel totally exhausted after the experience, so afterwards I have to lay down for awhile to recuperate. Hope it's of some help to someone.