PDA

View Full Version : No good options for me that I can see

Natka
02-10-14, 14:31
Have struggled with health anxiety for quite a while. I'm 36 and have had fears of heart issues, aneurysms, cancers, motor neuron disease and my current preoccupation is early onset dementia. My word retrieval skills seem to be deteriorating a little as I sometimes grasp for the appropriate word to use mid-sentence.

For example I was explaining to my pregnant girlfriend last night that it is sometimes difficult for people with debilitating health anxiety to accept that they don't have full control of their health outcomes; that some rare and awful disease could affect them; that they (or we) tend to focus in on the remote possibilities or outliers and ruminate on them and obsess over them, attempting to match our symptoms to some case we have read about in Google. Well while explaining all of this I struggled to come up with the phrase "come to terms with...". I knew it was in my memory bank somewhere but I just couldn't retrieve it and then it came to me a few minutes later. These episodes seem to be occurring more and more lately as my mind's search function frantically searches for a word or phrase that I know is there but fails to locate it amongst the dusty and cobwebbed recesses of my memory's vocabulary vault.

It's scary and I am becoming more and more conscious of it. And it's not just word retrieval issues; last night I meant to say the word "present" and caught myself instead saying the word "president". This type of thing is highly unusual for me and again it freaked me out a little. And it's not just complex or elaborate words and phrases that cause me to pause and think. Some words like "treadmill", "bookshelf" and "stapler" didn't come instantly in recent times and I needed a few seconds to process the words. I am also forgetting the names of some famous people, names I used to know (albeit they are not super-famous).

So is the start of a slippery road to some awful degenerative condition such that I won't be able to recognise my girlfriend and baby in a few years? That's currently the question that is stalking my mind and leading me check all my sentences and test my recognition of faces/objects/places etc.

What is in my favour is the fact that I have a history of healthy anxiety and obsessive thinking and many of my prior concerns didn't materialise into anything sinister, on top of that I am highly anxious at the moment and obviously stressing out about things.

I am typing this message while out work and colleagues occasionally come to use the printer which is beside my workstation while I am writing this so I can't add much more at this point except to say that this is incredibly frightening for me and I am considering taking meds.

Only other symptoms I can report are sometimes finding it a little difficult to focus on conversation if someone is rambling on (particularly when my mind is so fixated on this) and every now and then I have to do a double-take on a word to ensure I fully grasp its meaning and the context in which it should be used. All of these issues could be strongly related to my hypersensitive checking of how I use language these days but it's relentlessly concerning. And to be honest my options are pretty miserable; wait it out and see if I slowly regress into some kind of degenerative vegetative state or go through a battery of tests, psychoanalysis and expensive brain-imaging tests to find out if something sinister is really going on upstairs. Both options fill me with dread and I'm in a real difficult situation at the moment with no real idea of how to find a positive mental space so that I can be there for my partner when she needs me most right now.

luc
02-10-14, 14:48
Option 3 - accept this for what it is, your 'current preoccupation' and use all your strength and insight to react to it as just that.

Mindknot
02-10-14, 14:52
I think you may have answered your own question there, you mention that you have been hypersensitive about how you use language, and your anxiety over it is probably making you stumble over things that you know are right.

I thought I forgot my bank PIN number once, and the more I tried to remember it, the more I forgot it... bank machine of course took my card when I came to use it... then I remembered it just fine! :D It happens to me a lot when I really think about remembering stuff. Just this morning I forgot how to subtract one number from the other and had to Google it, that one was just lack of use though methinks, my brain had left the info at the back of the cupboard getting all dusty...

My theory is that your head can only contain so much info, if you fill it with other thoughts there's no room for all of it. Anxiety is lots and lots of other thoughts crammed in, my brain's got extra scattered since I started worrying about everything including the kitchen sink. I'm no expert but fairly sure that if it really was early on-set dementia you would have forgot a lot of other things and not just a few words.

Natka
03-10-14, 09:45
Thanks for the replies - I'm just trying to figure out why my mind is taking its time to come up words that I used to know instantly. Don't get me wrong - I can still communicate just fine, but I am just slower on certain words/phrases and that but less eloquent and I'd love to know what is causing it. Last night again I was talking to somebody on the phone and I couldn't think of the word "integrate" (it came to me later) - it's just frustrating that this is happening when I don't recall it happening before