PDA

View Full Version : Does your health anxiety affect what food you eat?!

Trueman
17-05-14, 18:56
We had a barbecue this evening. And it dawned on mean that even eating I am super cautious and worry about getting a bad stomach bug! So I avoid burgers or other meats unless I have inspected them several times to make sure they are cooked properly. Even then, I can eat a little bit and wait a while to see if I start to feel sick! How paranoid is that? I can eat something and all I'm thinking is what if I get sick from it.... I need to relax for goodness sake!

panicked1
17-05-14, 18:57
Yup I get this too, to the point where I've almost become vegetarian when I'm not cooking for myself...

jillyb
17-05-14, 19:30
Absolutely! It's becoming a real problem. I started with stomach issues 5 months ago. I haven't had any tests as the GP says it's anxiety. I do take esomeprazole for my stomach and am now (somewhat reluctantly) on citalopram. I start getting 'symptoms' before I even put anything in my mouth! I keep telling myself it's a brain/ gut reaction. Without a doubt there really is a link between the two. Anxiety causes the stress hormones to start pumping out and off we go. I've lost a lot of weight too because I'm just not eating enough for fear it will upset me ie very little fat at all and certainly not enough calories. Then I get in a tiss and worry why I'm losing weight ...there must be something wrong etc. Vicious circle! Yes, we must all relax and enjoy our food ...other people do! Lovely day for a BBQ! X

Trueman
17-05-14, 20:32
Typically I am now getting stomach cramps and blaming the burger I ate.. Argh.