PDA

View Full Version : mess up at the surgery again! panicing

Darren1
08-05-14, 14:03
My doctor referred me for an endoscopy last month but I haven't had an appointment yet. I have phoned the surgery today and the manager has contacted the hospital to find out what is going on.

She has just phoned me to say that there is a 2 month wait to see a gastro consultant at the hospital.

I told her that I thought the doctor was just sending me for an endoscopy and didnt think I was seeing a consultant.

So now she has gone to check with the doctor if I need to see a consultant or just the test.

Im really worried now that I've intervened and if I only have the test then they wont have looked at my pancreas etc

---------- Post added at 14:03 ---------- Previous post was at 13:05 ----------

Well the doctor responded and said to continue going to see the consultant as that will be quicker if to get the tests.

I'm really worried he thinks I need to be seen really soon by a consultant. She managed to get me an appt 16th may at a different hospital.

I am worried because on my appointment letter is says "General Upper GI SURGERY - Upper GI Surgery (Not for Gastro referrals)"

Why would it say "not for gastro referrals"?I'm worried I will get there and be in the wrong place.

Also when it says surgery does that mean like a clinic or theatre????

SarahH
08-05-14, 14:07
Why don't you ring them back and ask?!

nomorepanic
08-05-14, 14:13
It could mean anything so I agree with Sarah - call and ask

Darren1
08-05-14, 14:53
Why don't you ring them back and ask?!

ive just emailed them to ask if it's correct

HoneyLove
08-05-14, 15:02
Darren, your doctor has probably referred patients thousands of times, it's part of their job. You can trust that they know exactly what they're doing! A referral is a simple process!

Darren1
08-05-14, 15:02
Darren, your doctor has probably referred patients thousands of times, it's part of their job. You can trust that they know exactly what they're doing! A referral is a simple process!

is this anxiety??

SarahH
08-05-14, 15:30
Yep!

HoneyLove
08-05-14, 15:33
I think so! Another patient without health anxiety issues wouldn't even give this a second thought. It's almost like you're trying to have complete control of the process, that you don't trust others to do their jobs properly and take care of you.

Darren1
08-05-14, 16:14
I think so! Another patient without health anxiety issues wouldn't even give this a second thought. It's almost like you're trying to have complete control of the process, that you don't trust others to do their jobs properly and take care of you.

You are exactly right, I think I am going to be part of some sort of NHS massive cockup

Does anyone else have this trait?

Fishmanpa
08-05-14, 16:25
Does anyone else have this trait?

Take a quick peek through the threads... what do you think? ;)

Positive thoughts

Darren1
08-05-14, 16:33
Take a quick peek through the threads... what do you think? ;)

Positive thoughts

Haha

Darren1
13-05-14, 08:53
I've had a letter from the hospital saying that my appointment this friday has been cancelled because it has been inappropriately booked!!! It says to contact my surgery!

I'm so annoyed! I will now probably have to wait weeks and weeks for an appointment. I KNEW there was something up with the referral :(

yenool
13-05-14, 10:47
I'm so annoyed! I will now probably have to wait weeks and weeks for an appointment. I KNEW there was something up with the referral :(

I can understand your frustration. Mistakes and communication issues like this seem fairly common in the NHS and particularly GP surgeries.

Personally I think it is a sign of the massive pressure and workload they are under - each GP will see maybe 40 patients or more per day and the surgery as a whole will make hundreds of referrals a week. They are human so will make mistakes and even with a tiny error rate percentage one or two people a week would end up with problems.

I know this doesn't help you but it kind of puts it into perspective hopefully?

My understanding is your symptoms have been going on quite a long time and are quite stable? So the chances are whatever it is is not madly urgent (plus you would have had an urgent referral if that was the case).

So hang in there, think positively and stay calm when dealing with the surgery to get this mess up sorted on. :)

Darren1
13-05-14, 11:45
I can understand your frustration. Mistakes and communication issues like this seem fairly common in the NHS and particularly GP surgeries.

Personally I think it is a sign of the massive pressure and workload they are under - each GP will see maybe 40 patients or more per day and the surgery as a whole will make hundreds of referrals a week. They are human so will make mistakes and even with a tiny error rate percentage one or two people a week would end up with problems.

I know this doesn't help you but it kind of puts it into perspective hopefully?

My understanding is your symptoms have been going on quite a long time and are quite stable? So the chances are whatever it is is not madly urgent (plus you would have had an urgent referral if that was the case).

So hang in there, think positively and stay calm when dealing with the surgery to get this mess up sorted on. :)

another thing that doesnt help is all the different computer systems they have - and there always seems to be a new one!

im waiting for the secretary to phone me back - i just cant believe ive already waited 6 weeks and 4 days before the appointment im told that its cancelled!